Tvt and anterior repair

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I was discharged yesterday after having a tvt and anterior repair, I am 36 years old and just want to hear other experiences, what I should expect, and should I be doing pelvic floors. I was literally discharged with no information, currently experiencing pain when my bladder empties but thank god it is emptying which is a first. Can't see the bulge anymore which is great. Should I be doing pelvic floors or not yet, how was sex after the repairs, also I have quite a tight torch on the outside, pubic bone causing a large dimple pulling in. No pain when I'm still but when I move. I have a 2 1/2 year old so want to aid my recovery as best as I am, any advise for a swift recovery?

Many thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

There is lots of well researched information on the Genitourinary Prolapse home page under Useful Resources which should help. Some advice is difficult to give because it depends on certain things like sutures used especially starting pelvic floor exercises. So if someone tells you it's ok to start in a week that advice may do you more harm. It's something that needs clarifying with your urogynaecologist really. Rest in the first 2 weeks is important and lift nothing heavier than a kettle with enough water to make a cup of tea. After that it's gently mobilising. Try and walk around the house once an hour though. Don't be concerned if your pain and swelling get worse particularly around the 2nd to 4th week, that's perfectly normal. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. I was pretty much discharged with no advice but I will contact them perhaps and I will see my gyne in 6 weeks. One of my stitiches on the outside is quite tight, pulling onwards to make a big dimple which is slightly uncomfortable.
    • Posted

The stitches can be very uncomfortable. Were you given any advice about having a bath? Some ladies are told they can have one straight away others, myself included have to wait 6 weeks. Again it depends on the sutures. I do get really annoyed when I read ladies are discharged without the information they need.
    • Posted

I wasn't given advice on anything I really don't know what Im to expect, or what I should be doing.

• Posted

There is a lot of information on this forum but it's important to give your surgery the best chance that for 2 weeks you do as little as possible. 

• Posted

Hi kelly, I'm not an expert but I had similar done four weeks ago and have a 4 and 6 year old. The kids have stayed with my parents and I have done very little and really just been with feet up since then. I think the less you do the quicker you'll recover. I still feel pretty grim and swollen inside and very tired. Which in told is normal. It's a slow process just take it easy and hopefully we'll all be better in the long run! X

• Posted

Thank you, wow i don't think I realised how long the recovery would be. I'm staying with my mum with my little one I she can help out but she will be back to irk week after next. Just hope I can manage once she die go back

• Posted

I had no idea either. Being on here has been really helpful. Makes you realise what to expect and that's it's normal to feel rubbish. As you said you don't learn much from the hospital. Just make the most of being with your mum and do nothing while you can!

• Posted

Yes I'm glad I came I here, I've been trying to call the ward all day to get my sick certificate as they forgot to give it to me. It's terrible really, but it great to hear from people on hear about their experiences etc.

• Posted

You have to remember this is major surgery, treat it as such x
    • Posted

Thank you so much. You have really helped my first day at home. X
  • Posted

Hi Kelly

I'm on the waiting list for 2 repairs bladder and uterus. I'm

Suffering greatly! I had tvt 5 years ago -great success. I rested a lot! Didn't lift a kettle in first week. The instructions from the surgeon were crucial - do not lift, don't do anything for a good few weeks, take regular painkillers if you are uncomfortable, phone the surgeon to ask if you should do pelvic floor exercises but I wouldn't do anything for at least 14 days. You can't rush these things just rest rest rest good luck, you will be fine - think positive and eat well. X

• Posted

Don't lift a kettle with enough water to make a cup of tea for 2 weeks. That's the crucial time. I've seen women return to the ward for lifting after a week. It takes 2 weeks for the sutures in embed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.