Vitamin D Content

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know the vitamin D content of Shredded Wheat; and unprocessed bran?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have asked the manufacturers, but have received no response - as yet.
    • Posted

Unprocessed bran mean wheat bran
  • Posted

I googled "vit D content of shredded wheat" and a site called nutritiondata showed the nutritional data panel for it. I'm afraid the answer is what i thought - zero! Look on the packets,  if it isn't mentioned, there won't be any.

Very few foods have appreciable quantities of vit D - it is a fat-soluble vitamin and plants (other than mushrooms) have none. In the USA and a few other countries there are foods which are fortified with various vitamins (vit D is added to orange juice, milk and a few other foods) and I believe that cereals are allowed to be fortified in the UK, no other foods are fortified other than margarine and that is just to bring it to the same level as butter.

I googled "cereals fortified with vit d" to get the info as to which cereals are high in vit D. I can't give you the link - you will have to google as I did.

• Posted

I thought that cerials might be fortified, but, as you say, if they were the box would indicate the content
    • Posted

Yes - and there are some. Mostly from Kelloggs I think. Not Shredded wheat.
  • Posted

None. 

Vit D is mostly in fish, eggs and sometimes mushrooms. 

Sunlight  is converted to vit D by mostly skin and some by kidneys. 

• Posted

yes.. little in cheese, milk, yogurt, fortified orange juice and cereals 
    • Posted

Milk is interesting. I use semi-skimmed and there is no mention of vitamins on the label
    • Posted

like i said, milk has some ... maybe less than 5-10% of daily requirement. 

Most people need supplements of Vit D

• Posted

Where are you? It is only fortified in the USA and the level in non-fortified milk is low, about 40 IU/litre - and who drinks a llitre of milk per day?

"The milk from cows fed normal levels of vitamin D has been found to contain approximately 40 IU per liter of vitamin D activity. A 14-fold increase in dietary vitamin D intake causes only a doubling of the amount of vitamin D in milk. This was determined by measuring stimulation of intestinal calcium transport in the vitamin D-deficient rat. Four vitamin D compounds were then isolated from cow's milk using a combination of conventional chromatography on Sephadex LH-20 and Lipidex 5000 followed by high-performance liquid chromatography. 24,25-Dihydroxycholecalciferol and 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol were measured using binding protein assays. One liter of milk contained 27 ng and 4.9 ng, respectively, of these two metabolites. Together these account for about 15% of the vitamin D activity. Cholecalciferol was found to be present at a concentration of 281 ng/liter or 11 IU/liter of biological activity. The milk contained 145 ng/liter 25-hydroxycholecalciferol or 29 IU/liter of activity. Therefore the known vitamin D compounds fully account for the biological activity observed in milk. It is therefore clear that no evidence could be found for the existence of a highly active water-soluble form of vitamin D in milk."

Normal diet will only supply about 10% or less of your daily requirement unless you eat very large amounts of oily fish (maybe over half a pound a day) or something like 17 eggs or a couple of kilos of UV-exposed mushrooms. What you could get from milk alone wouldn't come NEAR to 10%.

• Posted

Far too much information> The message is vitamin D supplements are needed

• Posted

Yes, I could have said that! But you asked about milk. I told you about milk - and why in some places there is vit D in milk and in others not so much...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.