Feeling more anxious and depressed after coming off fluoxetine.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I came off citalopram in october after 6 years thinking I was ok. Had terrible withdrawal as only was told to wean off in a month! Been drug free until work started getting to me and felt depressed and lost weight. I have now left my job and started taking fluoxetine as was told they are more gentle and easier to come off if needed to again. I only took them for 12 days but I've had the worst experience on them they and gave me racing heart , no sleep, tingling, numbness and terrible anxiety. I thought I was having a heart attack! I have now stopped but I'm feeling really depressed and anxious everyday. Been off them just over a week. Will I ever feel normal again? I'm tired, and tearful and cant function normally. Any advice appreciated!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have u tried propononal ? They help with anxiety x fluoxetine takes ages to kick in but the side effects are horrendous .
    • Posted

Hi andrea, no I haven't tried it. I'm hoping it's the fluox effects wearing off as I don't think I felt this anxious before. My mind is on overdrive and heart races. I'm unsure if to give it more time before I try another drug. Does propononal have side effects?

• Posted

Hi Amy propononal doesn't seem to have any side effects but I'm only taking when needed and I have very mild ones 10 mg . I've been on fluoxetine for 13 weeks now x going to give it another 2 weeks before possibly changing . Good luck. Previous to this I was on fluoxetine for 4 years and I was fine so I am so confused .

• Posted

You will feel normal again - meds should be weaned off over many, many months.  Do it too quickly and your body will react, making you feel ill again.  Restarting meds needs to be done slowly too.  Stopping / starting too much and your body won't know if its coming or going.

These meds can take months and months before you start feeling the benefits - and no 2 experiences will be the same either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.