Worried about going backwards

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I recently tried to taper of my 100mg Zoloft (which I took for ten years) a few months ago. Anyways, I got down to 12.5/6mg and quickly plummeted. So I started 25mg on Jan. 14th and 50mg on Jan. 19th. Trying to stick with 50mg instead of 100mg, so I want to give it time to see if it is efficient enough on this dose.

I dealt with terrible side effects for a couple weeks, then things started to work out for the better. I had a good week or so and last week things started going bad again. I've been getting morning anxiety again, bad dreams, and trouble sleeping. I'm no longer waking up refreshed and instead waking up several times at night again. I'm having anxiety and obsessive thoughts, although not as severe as before.

Is it normal to go up and down like this? I was so hopeful I was on the right track and to go backwards is terrifying me. I can't go back to that panic. I need advice.

Also, as a female, I did start my cycle four days ago. I thought maybe the hormones could've made things whacky. I'm just really worried the meds aren't working or won't work.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes, completely normal. I too am female and I guess I’m the dumbest one here LOL because I had gone on and off this med for 7-8 times in the past 2 decades. My most recent back-on started on Nov 19 and I’m doing great right now! I still have neck stiffness and sometimes don’t sleep all the way thru the night (always could return to sleep though). I had wanted God to take me home in my sleep a couple of months ago.  Each time I get back on I get all sorts of side effects, some old, some new, and it doesn’t get easier each time although this should be old hat to me by now, and each time I also question if it would work for me like it once did. Then I read an article that said if it had worked for you in the past, it will most likely work for you again. So, since you get good weeks – this means that it IS working for you. It just needs to level out in your system and this takes time, so please hang in there and don't give up. (Recently, I found out that there is only about 20% that it wouldn’t work again getting back on, so I’m not getting off again.) Trust me when I tell you that you are getting better. I went though the same thing. Xx   

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! I feel a lot better after reading it. It's nice to know that it's normal and that I will get better. You're not dumb! and I'm very happy to hear you are doing better and feel great wink I guess I need to just wait out the next couple of months. May I ask if you had to increase your dose? I'm hoping to stay on the 50mg.

• Posted

Yeah, for awhile at 6-week I wanted to quicken my recovery so I increased it from my usual 100mg to 150mg, but then it made me almost catatonic (and I felt tightness in all my muscles, etc. like tardive) so I lowered it back to 100mg after 2 weeks. I hope perhaps some day to lower it to 50mg for a manintenance dose, but that's far out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.