Frustrated with my blood pressure medication.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently on Lisinopril but went to the dr because of side effects, ( my dr wasn't there and hid associate was filling in) I.e. dry cough and hot flashes. He was going to switch me to Corzarr or a Beta Blocker (I can't remember which one). I had to go back in the next day to get my blood pressure checked, it was normal. I had taken my Lisinopril. I had been told by my Psychiatrist I couldn't take Beta Blockers because my body didn't break them down right. (She had already done a test to show this) I had explained this to him. I explained to him I didn't want to be on Corzarr, or any blood pressure medication that caused depression because my high risk of depression.

What should I do? He told he, that was fine, " don't be on anything."

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

ut Well if he said that then go with it - that you should be so lucky. Most GPs would ramp up the medication not lower it let alone stop it altogether.  But why were you put on the medication in the first place, what was your BP at diagnosis of hypertension and how was the hypertension diagnosed?
    • Posted

Yes. It was 188/97. I have to be on something.
  • Posted

Hi Jill were you actually put on BP meds for hypertension or for white coat syndrome created by anxiety, if so that would be why he could just say if you want to come off them you can
    • Posted

My BP has been tested on several occasions. It always tests high. Even after waiting around at the Drs office, as well as at home. It's been as high as 187/86 at home.

• Posted

What are your BP numbers? 
    • Posted

There are some conditions that make your systolic pressure so high 175-190 . But not your diastolic pressure 85-87 ? 

Sometimes cause by drinking. 

• Posted

I have NO history of alcohol use, or illegal drug use. That, most assuredly, can be ruled out.
    • Posted

Ok, thats good. 

Your lower (diastolic pressure ) is quite low compared to upper (systolic pressure), did the doctors note that and say anything ?  

• Posted

No. They didn't really say much about my bottom number. I think at one point it was 97, but, that still wasn't as high as some other's I have heard. They were mainly concerned about my top number.

• Posted

Well if your BP is that high I'm amazed at the dr telling you not to take anything. Have you ever had a 24 hr monitor? I would ask for one as it's an accurate way of diagnosing hypertension.  Certainly taking it in the surgery is likely to give you 'White coat'.

For what it's worth, Cozarr is the same as Losartan [according to Google]. Many people on this site take Losartan, myself included, with no side effects. I took Ramipril initially which is an ACE inhibitor similar to Lisinopril and when the inevitable  cough arrived I was changed to Losartan. [I think Ace inhibitors are a cheaper option which is why they try those first.

i would be uneasy about not taking anything if your BP is as high as you mention.

• Posted

I know it's not "White Coat Syndrome". I was thinking about continuing with my old medication with all the side effects. I just know how my body responds to medications that can cause depression.

• Posted

I hadn't heard of blood pressure medicine causing depression . Are you sure of this. Would the depression runs when you discontinue the medicine

• Posted

Yes. It can. Especially in those prone to depression. It's even listed as a side effect. Studies have shown that especially Beta Blockers are a contributor to depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.