Sertraline and folate deficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been on sert for 6.5 weeks and it hasn't been working consistently. I felt good for a few days at the 2 and 4 week marks but other than that I have been anxious. Anxiety hit me hard out of nowhere in November last year. Recently I have been determined to find answers as to why this happens and I thought it might be a vitamin d deficiency so I demanded a full blood panel. My vitamin d is low but not dangerously. More concerning is the fact that my b12 and folate levels are really low. I have done some research and understand that folate deficiency can reduce effectiveness of antidepressants. I am not sure what my next steps should be. Does anyone's have any experience with this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I've been doing the same research. I have noticed the anxiety can be a result of a genetic mutation that effects the way we process B12. I've been taking Folinic acid and b12 methylcobalamin for the past 3 weeks. I can't say for sure if it's had an effect, but my energy levels have been better.

Jen xx

• Posted

Hi there. I too have read this and I'm low in folate too but not B12. I find the folic acid makes me feel nauseous and bit strange. Anyone else? My dose is 4mg thsnks

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Sorry to hear youve had a rough time with anxiety sad It is entirely possible that you feel this way without a cause or reason for it - anxiety is strange that way, it can just flair up out of nowhere. Unless something specific happened that you know triggered it then I wouldn't dwell too much on finding the reason.

You are still technically in the early stages of taking sertraline, it took a good 2-3 months for my meds to become effective, so give yourself a break smile

If you feel deficiencies may be causing you problems it wont do you any harm to take a daily multivitamin or folic acid supplement though, your body will just reject what it doesn't need anyway. I take an all round multivit and a vit D supplement everyday which i feel does actaully help me feel more "level". If you're seasonally effected like me id recommend the D vit for sure.

On a more controversial note i also go to a solarium once or twice a week to get some "sunshine". I live in a cold dark part of the world and find this little top up of sun really positive for my mood (This helps me emensely but its not for everyone, be aware of the dangers of sunbed use)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.