Broncoscopy and lung biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mam has COPD which she manages quite well. A few weeks ago she became chesty and breathless and was admitted to hospital. They performed an xray and found a shadow on her lung they said she needed a ct scan to confirm what the shadow was. Anyway she asked if she could have this as an outpatient as she found lying down a struggle...which they agreed.

She had her ct scan on the fri and asked her to go back on the tue which she did with my father. Ive been besides myself i dont know what to think as it was sudden and didnt go with her. They have now told her they want ro perform a biopsy of her lung via a camera down her throat....really dont know how she will manage that as she is very claustraphbic and cant even lie down for the dentist.

A lot of yrs ago she had a nodule on her lung which didnt get any bigger and they just left it....i wonder if its just that as she forgot to mention it... whats everyones thoughts on this im so worried.. i cant seem to think of anything else currently xxx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i would definately mention the previous nodule, where abouts on the lung was the nodule? The shadow seen on the scan might be near the bronchial tree if they ae going to biopsy through the mouth? does the position match up with the old nodule? i think they give you some pretty strong drugs for these procedures so i wouldnt worry
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply im not 100% sure where they said it was but top of lung rings a bell as did the other one she had. Im sure it must be the same one.
    • Posted

Ive tried to dig a bit deeper and mam said the consultants secretery who called her to go back in on the friday said its because the consultant is going away for a month and wanted to push his appoitnments forward. I think i feel a bit better. He also never mentioned the c word regarding the ct scan. Surly they would know by the ct scan if it was cancer.
  • Posted

Hi fitfreak

In my own experiences:-

As an outpatient having a ct scan you have to lay down to be scanned.  It doesn't usually take very long and is what I call a doddle procedure in comparison to some I have had in the past.

A shadow on the lung doesn't necessarily equate to lung cancer, a bad lung infection can show a shadow on the lung on xray.  The shadow can clear once a lung infection is treated and cleared.  However it would important for your mam to have the scans and tests so the doctors can know for sure what the problem is and the best way forward to treat it.

I believe whenever cancer is suspected people are called in quite quickly and in some cases immediately.

A camera down the throat patient can be in a upright sitting position, this also is a relatively painless procedure.

A lung biopsy CT scan guided is likely a different procedure. 

If you or your Mam are unclear about the procedure she is to have,  I would advise to communicate all your concerns to the consultant's department and ask for an information leaflet on the recommended procedure(s) she is to have to be sent to you through the post or perhaps you can pick these up yourself.

( patient information leaflets about the procedure they are to have is usually sent with the appointment letter).

Be sure which procedure your mam is to have before searching on line to avoid any unnecessary concerns.

Best wishes to you and your mam

Do keep in touch.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Thanks , im feeling a bit more positive now. Im hoping its just her old nodule ir an infection. Im quite confident uts just that
  • Posted

Hello. I have Stage 2 COPD and recently had a Bronchoscopy because I was inexplicably coughing up blood. Just want to reassure you that, although it's a little uncomfortable at first, the drugs kick in quickly and it is a painless procedure. Good news in my case is that it ruled out anything serious. I sincerely hope that is the case for your mother. Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks glad your results turned out to be ok !! Just wish this was over for her. I keep thinking how she must feel!!!
  • Posted

Hi fitfreak I also have had a ct scan and broncosopy last week the scan didn't take long but I was terrified of the broncosopy I was sat in a chair and I asked for sedation from when they put the sedation in my arm I don't remember a single thing about it they will keep a close eye on your mum and give her oxegen if she needs it

Hope everything goes well for your mum xx

• Posted

Thanks , finding it hard to sleep tonight as im taking mam tomorrow well today.

How long does the biospy results take ?

Will we find out anything today ?

I wonder if i can go in with her today ? I will ask as think she would like me to be. Why did you have the ct scan and biopsy zoozoo 01 ?? I hope your results are ok??

• Posted

Hi. I was told the results would take 2 weeks in my case. When the doctor did the scope he decided not to do a biopsy because he said things looked normal and it wasn't warranted. So maybe your mom will at least get some initial observational information. My husband wasn't able to go in with me...he had to wait in the waiting room. Best of luck today!

• Posted

My mam couldnt go through the broncoscopy despite the throat spray and sedation after all. I could go in with her she said they lay her flat so her head was in a lower position than her body, with the plastic tube in her mouth. ( not great when you have copd) and tried to put the tube down her throat she said she panicked. Another waiting game to see what they want to do as an alternative. I actually dont think i could of gone through that either and i can breath normally. Apperently she was the 4th person of the day who could not go tgrough with it . Does anyone have any idea what they may do next ????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.