L1L2L3 fractured no operation let it heel on its own did pt water acupuncture pain mgt tens unit

Posted , 4 users are following.

Accupunture pain mgt twice nothing helps . What should I do next? In South Florida . They say good medicine here is plane ticket to NY or Boston 3 spine guys says live with it?? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have 14 spinal fractures. They are agony when they happen and take from 3 - 6 months to heal. Change your life style to try to avoid them, get some pain killers and wait. I have a chiropractor )who doesn't "crunch" me. I go to him after about six weeks. Use sticks to walk for support. Take vitamin D and vitamin k2 as well as calcium. Vit k2 very important and read up on treatment. If you have osteoporosis It's ghastly. I believe there are some radiologists who do treat them but don't know much about them. Good luck

• Posted

Faith thanks for your reply . What pain medicine cocktail do you get from pain doctor. I received lidocaine and I believe (depolmetrol?) . What worked for you?
    • Posted

Nothing really works for long, I have co codamol for basic daily use and then Tramadol and oromorph when bad. I used to take Diclofenac (anti inflammatory) but can't now as it puts my liver function tests up so appear to be allergic to it! I put ice packs on alternating with wheat bags. I do what I can and then rest and wait! I sleep in a chair if lying down bad and sometimes put a pillow between my knees. Not very helpful I am afraid. I have never been injected for it. Let me know how you get on

• Posted

My goodness Faith (love that name). Are all your fractures recent, or at different times over the years. You mind me asking how old you are? Are you taking any of the drugs? This is a hard way to live, isn't it? My heart goes out to you. Hope you're doing better today.

• Posted

Hi, last fracture occurred Feb last year and took till September to heal. Going through old diaries discovered I often have a fracture in Feb/March so been on tenderhooks a bit recently!!! I was looked after by a world renowned professor of osteoporosis. I have had each course of treatment for a set period of time. The last lot was Denosumab. Prof retired sadly. In Nov 15 I felt unwell for no reason really so stopped Denosumab and Amitriptyline (taking to relax muscles at night 10/20mgs). Had a lot of trouble coming off the Amitriptyline, wonderful drug but evil. Things still not right so came off omepraxole (for reflux due to thoracic fractures) as well! Apparently my bones have improved but still at major risk of fracture. What do I do? Learnt to live with it. Some things I can't do like skiing and horse riding. I don't carry anything heavy. I don't vacuum clean my house, make my bed, carry the washing downstairs or lift a saucepan off the cooker. Sometimes I might need help doing shoe laces up or turning over in bed. I always go walking with a stick. I have a personal trainer at the gym (just to make sure I do the correct exercises), see a non crunch chiropractor, have massages when I can, sit and relax when I need to; that's been the hardest thing apart from; acceptance. Could be worse. I try not to take pain killers as think you can become immune and dependent on them (in my case but accept needed by many). I am 63 and have had it for 12 years. It will ruin yr life if you let it so don't! My friend has had 50 operations for arthritis is 61 and has had arthritis since she was 35. We went on Safari to Kenya together last October. If she can carry on and do I am sure I can. We just di it slowly!!! None of this will help you as you will sort out what works for you but be brave and live. I was a nurse and am married to a surgeon!!!!! Be strong, you'll be ok if you work round it don't let it control you but be sensible. Sorry, reply a bit longer than you probably bargained for. Good luck, hope you ok

• Posted

Hi again me, didn't add that I have Tramadol, co codamol and oromorph fir really bad times but have managed with activity control to take paracetamol as first line of defence with wheat bag and ice packs - I am not a martyr by any stretch of the imagination

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.