4th week post-op TURP progress

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now in my fourth week of recovery from TURP surgery done at the San Antonio VA hospital. I posted earlier in my first week post-op and mentioned I had been in the hospital four days due to heavy blood in the urine. The doctor was only a bit concerned and thought a blood vessel may have been compromised, however, after discussion with his collegues, they decided to pull out the cathether and if I could void, he would send me home. I want to note that during my hospital stay, I experienced no pain at all, at best, it was tolerable discomfort from having the catheter. So, a few minutes after the catheter was pulled out, I went to the toilet and a 'gunk' of blood clots came out. Again, this was not painful but definitely made me think - "what the heck?"

I continued to void a few more times until the doctor felt comfortable with releasing me from the hospital. I urinated sufficient blood for a couple of days for sure, but again, I didn't experience pain when I urinated. I do recommend that if you can, take a 2 week break from strenuous work after the recovery. 

Now in the fourth week, I feel much better and although I know I am not yet emptying my bladder completely right away, I seem to go two or three times in a ten minute period, which I assume it then emptying my bladder more. I do still have blood in the urine when I start urinating and off and on during the day. I drink plenty of water so I can urinate every hour, also I noticed if I don't drink plenty of water, that is when I notice slight discomfort at the end of urinating? But the stream is much stronger and I can urinate more at one time than before. I have my first doctor follow up next week but so far, my experience with this surgery has been painless with only mild discomfort. I hope the pattern continues. One final issue is sex, I did have a wet dream and I obviously didn't have complete retrograde ejaculation. So I hope I one of the lucky ones. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had turp 3+ months ago.  They kept me in the hospital just overnight releasing me after I was able to pee without the cath.  A week later I was back in the hospital because of heavy bleeding, a three day stay that time with the foley cath and flushing half a dozen times a day.  When they removed the cath I had a strong streem with a tinge of blood.  Went home and all has been well.  I did pass scabs and clots for a few weeks but no other problems.  A couple of weeks later sex was great with no retro that I could tell.  Pretty much fully recovered now sex is great and peeing like I was 30 again.  Very happy with my decision to have turp.  Good luck with your recovery, I pray your results are as good as mine.
  • Posted

·         " ... and a 'gunk' of blood clots came out ... "  I would be more concerned if nothing came out.  Keep in mind.  In a healthy body, urine - is sterile.

·         " ... I urinated sufficient blood for a couple of days for sure ... " - normal.

·         " ... if you can, take a 2 week break from strenuous work after the recovery ... " - that's smart advice.

·         " ... I seem to go two or three times in a ten minute period ... " - normal.  Your body has been traumatized.  The body also has  an inherent intelligence to heal on its own, which is what you're experiencing. 

·         " ... I drink plenty of water so I can urinate every hour ... " - spot on.

·         " ... and I obviously didn't have complete retrograde ejaculation. So I hope I am one of the lucky ones ... "  You very well could be.

My friend, I'm glad to hear things worked out so well for you.  Your anxiety over sexual function is understood, and your post is going to allay the fears of future potential TURP patients.  Not giving advice here, but I would say it to any of my brothers-in-suffering;  give that sex life a long rest after any kind of urological surgery - especially after prostate surgery - no matter HOW much anxiety you have.  Paul, I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.