Flareup

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had PMR now for 6 years.  I have had my prednisone down to .5 mg per day.  I had a flare up, my gp suggested I go back up to 1, however it doesn't appear to be working yet (4th day). I really don't want to take too much as I have been almost been in remission, but the back ache is painfully.     Comments please?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It would seem that 1 mg is not enough, and that you are not in remission as you think. Or your back pain is due to an injury or something else all together. Do you know if you possibly could have injuied it? Being a lower back sufferer myself I can tell you that I am not 100% sure when or how I injured my back, I just know that it started hurting one day. Of course for me I didn't have PMR to blame the pain on so there was no confusion. And as I've aged I have also aquired a lot of arthritis in my back. That is another thing that you could have in your back. Any one of these is something you might consider.

• Posted

Thank you for replying, I haven't had an injury and I remember the pain from the pain I had before I was diagnosed with PMR and it is identical.  I was wondering myself if I should go up another 1 mg, and see what happens there.  I will wait one more day then try that. Thanks

• Posted

I know how disheartening it is to feel you've almost got to the end only to be knocked back. I had PMR altogether for eight years in two episodes and there were numerous glitches along the way but I did get there in the end.

If  1mg. is not controlling the symptoms then it looks as though that is not enough. If you are not happy to monitor your own doses could you get a 'phone call from your GP to ok something higher?

I used to keep detailed records of doses and how I was feeling and take them to my appointments and I was then left to adjust as and when.

• Posted

Thanks Betty, I am so anxious to get off the meds, I am a little discouraged.  I will wait a couple of days to see how things go, then go up more, if needed.  I sounds as if your are totally off prednisone which is awesome, this drug has been really hard on me.  I lost my hair in patches and now need cataract surgery, I just want to be done with it.
    • Posted

Being on Prednisone is awful.  I'm down to 12 mg from 60 mg one year ago. I already had the cataract surgery, but after gaining twenty pounds I'm anxious to see if the continued decrease will help get rid of some of this weight and water retention.  Being in my sixties I know it's not going to just fall off.  If you're down to one mg, try not to get discouraged.  That's is great that you've made it this far! Hang in there!

• Posted

Joan123456 if you lost hair in patches then it is likely alopecia areata and not from prednisone. Prednisone hair loss is typically overall and not in patches.
    • Posted

Betty, it is so nice to hear from the people who have gotten thru the PMR!

Thank you for responding on this forum...8 years is a long time, but leaves us hopeful😊

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I went back to my gp, she things I sent my immune system into a tail spine.  I came down with various infections that were hard to get rid of, I need two rounds of antibiotics.  I have increase my dosage to 1.5 and am feeling better.  Infections finally gone.  My eagerness to be off the drugs, was my downfall.  
  • Posted

Hi Joan,

I started on 30mg a year ago and am now down to 7mg. I must admit though in the mornings,I am very stiff and sore. I take my prednisolone after breakfast and gradually throughout the day the stiffness gets better. If in a lot of pain I also take paracetamol which helps a lot. By the afternoon and early evening I am much better,but never absolutely pain free. Like you ,there has been the odd occasion where I have wondered if I had had a relapse,but my Rheumotologist advised that when tapering you can often get symptoms of PMR but it can be the body reacting to less steroids and adjusting itself to to the lower dose.  Obviously in your case,if you do not feel any better after a few days you will have to increase your dose a little to get back on an even keel. Like other sufferers I also find it useful to keep a daily log of symptoms and the current dose of medicine. 

I think too it's important to keep as active as you comfortably can.

Regards,

Barbara

• Posted

Thank you Barbara, great information.  I continue all my activities no matter how painful.  😊

• Posted

I got the PMR diagnose last summer and started with 10mg. I tapered it down slowly, but I was never sypmtom free. I always get stiff, when I am sitting for awhile. Therefore moving and exercises helps me a lot, but it has to be slow and with low impact. I am on 3mg Prednisone right now and take additonally 2 x Tumeric 450mg per day. This helps me to lower the Prednisone dose and get up easier in the morning. I would try Tumeric and/or also increase the Prednisone perhaps to 5mg to get pain free and stop the inflammation, then taper it down. Good luck!
    • Posted

I also use Tumeric but only 1, 2 sounds like a great idea I will give it a try.  Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.