So achey, is it the surgery taking its toll?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi me again....Im 4 weeks post op TKR and at the stage where the knee is doing quite well, albeit stiff, with a tightness and swelling but 110 degree bend and can lift from lying down, but I feel so damn rough.  Back aches, feel sick, tired, both legs ache.  I'm on the verge of calling the Doc!  Anyone else feel like this?  Its worse towards the end of the day.  I seem to recall feeling a bit crook last time but thought it was the drugs.  This time i'm only on paracetemol and ibuprofen with the occasional codeine at night.  Very grateful for any comments on this. thank you xx

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It probably is the stress and strain which your body has had to take over the last month, but then again, it's always better to remember that we are not just a knee, and there always is the possibility that you have some sort of a virus which is making you feel worse.  Maybe just try to take it easier than usual, make sure you are drinking enough, and wait a few days to see if you get better?  If not, check it out with the doc, or sooner, if you really feel there may be something wrong.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks martina I guess we are more than a knee, I've thought of nothing else the past month! I will give it a few more days and see about the docs xx

• Posted

I am almost 9 weeks post TKR right knee. I am driving and getting around. However, I am still achey and stiff when I stay in one position too long. I still have PT, although I am 0/straight and 130/bend. Still building up strength in leg. I think that after just 4 weeks, it is very normal to be achey and stiff. Night time is hard finding positions that are comfortable. Take meds when you need them. I still take my prescription meds at night and find it helps. Four weeks is very early in recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you Ellen that is encouraging. I hope you feel better soon too x
  • Posted

I am 4.5 weeks post tkr and I still feel stiff and achie! I am o flat but can only get a 116 bend and mt PT keeps giving me grief over that. I am doing the best I can but let's face it this is very painful!!! I can only take low amounts of pain med due to other issues so pain is almost constant.  I understand how discouraging it is to feel so rough!!! Good luck

• Posted

I hesitate toa dvise anyone but I would just tell you my experieince.  At six weeks, I was only just below 90 bend, because I just was not prepared to take the sort of agony the physio expected of me.  I worked at it at my own speed, up to 'ouch' but not into SCREAM, and although perhaps it took me a bit longer, I am now at 136 and 0, and that suits me just fine.  these physiotherapists I believe have absolutely no idea of the sort of pain they are inflicting.  don't let them bully you is my advice.

• Posted

I did ask my PT if he had ever gone through a TKR and undergone the therapy that they are putting me through and he said NO but this is what we are taught and this is how it needs to work...  I have tried to be nice but I said as with clothes ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL, SO WHAT MAKES YOU THINK ONE METHOD OF PT FITS ALL!!   No reply,just said work harder at one.......
    • Posted

Please don't believe all this nonsense of 'six week window to get the bend" if you have been hearing it.  It took me about four months to get to 135 . . and if I really wanted to I could probably still get more, but I feel that what I have is enough.  It is necessary to push oneself, and to go through a degree of pain, but they expect too much of us.  Well, that's how I feel anyway . . .

• Posted

Hi, Elaine, 13 weeks !!! and still feel stiffness, and tightness no swelling... it has been like that for 7 weeks, doc gave me finally some antianflamatory and it helps but still feel tightness if standing too long ... he said it will go away eventually but it might take time ...but I running out of patience.. hang in there ... be patient !!! haha  !!! 
  • Posted

Hi Elaine!

Have you taken your temperature? I often felt the way you described early on, so I used my thermometer to help me to know if it was aches from healing OR aches from a cold, the flu, or some infection.

Healing is always going on, but I didn't find it to be at all STEADY. Some days I would feel like a hundred bucks; other days I would feel like I had been run over by a truck.

Try the thermometer first. If you have a normal temperature it is likely that you are dealing with that unsteady healing thing!

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl good advice, I've just looked at my posts on he from 2 years ago and I was moaning about the same things then!  I really had forgotten how hard the recovery is.  Just seen a you tube of a guy who cut out all inflammatory (whatever they are) foods and could squat at 4 months....onwards and upwards eh! X

• Posted

Elaine Martinavelo has really good advice. To me you sound like you are 4 weeks post TKR. I developed a big sore on my elbow from trying to move around and getting up. My back and shoulder still killing me because our bodies compromise for the weak knee. Make sure that you take your temp regularly though. This is a roller coaster recovery- progress is not linear. Otherwise you are doing great - 8 weeks and I am only at 101 degrees. Take care!
    • Posted

this really made me laugh as I read it at 3am this morning and I was thinking my elbows hurt! Jeez what a journey this is!  Thank you for responding I really appreciate all the replies xx
    • Posted

Hello miller, yes I also developed a large sore on one of my elbows, was painful & when I realised it was shifting @ trying to sit up etc I tried other ways. I put antiseptic cream on & a dressing & it healed up. Good luck

• Posted

Four weeks is very early in a TKR recovery that can last a year.  Legs ache because your quads are dead and have to be rebuilt.  This gym work usually follows your PT getting you your 0 / +120 ROM back.  It always gets worse at the end of the day if you push the knee too far.  Use a pedometer to find your pain point in steps...back off...increase gradually.  You're almost done with the worst (usually 60 days) but still have a long way to go.  Deep breath...big journey ahead...

• Posted

Hi. Am 4 weeks post Tkr , I still can't sleep &knee feels so stiff. I think my bend is only 95. Thou I exercise. Also I want to ask about the scar I was told not to put anything on it till next week but feel a bit of Vaseline may make it feel not so stretched , am I right ? Hope I get replies thanks

• Posted

Chico Oracle.  I will be back in the pool on Wednesday as hubby is off work to be able to take me.  Can't wait.  I've also ordered a small pedal machine thing to try and free up the stiffness. I'm very encouraged by your advice mr oracle and thrilled you say I'm  over the worst xx

• Posted

I was not able to submerge my knee for 6 weeks...doc's orders.  When I had my hip replaced in 2009, I was in a therapy pool within 10 days.  Full rehab completely done in 6 weeks.  If you're able to get into the water, it's THE BEST.  Do all your exercises in the pool.  Leg lifts, squats, etc.  Then put on an ankle weight and do them again.  Just remember to check for swelling...make sure you don't push it too far too fast.  It is DEFINITELY not like doing a hip.  This takes a lot longer.  Have fun...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.