LASIK after lens replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

has anyone had the laser tweak after lens replacement?  My distance vision is not clear but they say my prescription is only -0.5. Surgeon will do laser but as small prescription says may or may not make any difference or 1 / 2% chance could make things worse.  Tough decision to make just wondered if anyone had the laser ??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Did the surgeon say in what way a laser tweak could make things worse ?   Do you have a spherical reading (astigmatism)  
    • Posted

I am sure that you intended to ask if ali58534 has a cylinderical correction, which is the one which varies with astigmatism.
  • Posted

I had a LASIK enhancement after a Symfony lens implant.

In my case, the decison to so was easy because my LASIK enhancement was part of the lens price and I needed about -1.0 diopter of astigmatism correction in addition to -0.25 diopter of spherical correction. In the absence of the required astigmatism correction, I would not have had the LASIK correction just for the needed -0.25 spherical correction. I am glad that I have had the LASIK enhancement.

As your surgeon has told you, having LASIK done just for the -0.5 spherical (?) correction is on the borderline. How was your vision with the prescription lens in the doctor's office? Was there a big change in what you could see on the vision chart when using the prescription lend? Did he say if you have any astigmatism (regular or irregular).

Also, have you had the lens replaced on the other eye yet? If not, there will be a better reason for leaving this eye alone and aim to get the distance vision more correct in that eye before you make any correction to this eye. Of course, if you intend to have monovision with the 2 lenses combined, that will also govern the final decision.

• Posted

I had lens replacement in both eyes April 16. I have been trialling a -0.5 contact lens which makes a vast difference to my distance sight especially driving at dusk and dawn and also in the open plan office where I work . I just don't want to wear a contact forever but don't want to end up even worse

• Posted

If both eyes require a -0.5 spherical correction and no cylinderical correction (which will be true if you are wearing a soft contact lens with that power), then:

1. Try wearing a contact lens only in the dominant eye and not in both the eyes. Most probably, you will find that your distant vision is still as good as when wearing contact lenses in both eyes while having a slightly better vision in the 32-40 inches range than you get with having contace lenses in both the eyes..

2. If wearing contact lens in only the dominant eye works for you, then either have LASIK only for that eye or just wear contact lens only in that eye.

• Posted

I meant to ask if you have a cylindrical correction - apologies !
  • Posted

What I cannot understand is why does having cataract surgery make your vision worse than before you had it.  I would not have done it knowing I am now wearing glasses. I had three laser surgeries so I would not have to wear glasses.
    • Posted

I had the surgery because I couldn't see close up and got fed up of contacts every day. But think prescription slightly off so my distance is not as sharp as I would like. I have got driving vision but want it a bit sharper which is what I get with the contact I have trialled.

• Posted

HI Ali, what did you end up doing? Pretty sure I’m in the same boat. I had Lasik 20 years ago and cataract surgery on one eye. My distance vision in the eye I had cataract removed is blurry. I’m thinking it’s not a big prescription but too blurry to drive. I do t want to wear glasses either. Did you end up having the Lasik enhancement to fix the -.50?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.