Can I get advice on after care of hip replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had a hip replacement 3 weeks ago, I need the other hip replacement as , but now my other hip is starting to hurt , I have been walking , but don't know what to do about the pain is am in , with the hip I need replacing, can you help please thank you

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Best to stay on pain meds and exercises in bed at 3 weeks out.  After 6 week check up,ask,for PT. This will help,strengthen the THR hip muscles. It's a lot of ups and downs for the first few weeks for some of us hippies. Call and ask for a RX for pain meds if you need more. 

Not quite sure what the last sentence is? Do you mean you need the other hip replaced and have pain in it as well? Stay well sweetheart sounds like you have been living in chronic pain with both hips. Walk slowly on walker and be sure you have help at home until your more stable.

Hopexxx

• Posted

Please go slowly at this stage,  do lots of post surgery exercises, you can find post surgery hip exercises online, but again don't hurt yourself is what physio told me, just until you pull the pull and not too much more, and do those exercises 4 -5 times a day or even more if your not completely exhausted.

I got in the local heated pool at about 24 days after surgery, with local Dr's permission, he checked very carefully that cut was completly healed over, VERY IMPORTANT, you do not want an infection in cut, did those same post surgery exercises with the weight of the water as resistance, again other physios in the pool who knew I had a hip replacement said go slowly and carefully and not to overdo it.

Built up in the pool to treading water with a noodle or water log under my arms, to about a hour 3 times a week, and the non weight bearing exercises were the answer, the only answer for me with a completly bone on bone worn out opposite hip, kept me sane and fit while waiting for 2nd hip replacement.

• Posted

Are you on pain meds? If they aren't helping enough, especially with the unoperated hip, can you speak to the doctor about increasing them? Is the other hip scheduled for replacement yet?

I agree with lyn that you need to do the exercises (you did get some, didn't you?) but don't overdo it. Feeling a bit challenged by them is ok, but not enough to cause pain. And if you can't manage them in 3 - 5 "sessions", just do what you can throughout the day. One small session every hour is going to help, if that is the best you can manage.

?With the unoperated hip, you say that it has started to hurt - is this literally that recent, and it didn't hurt before? And how much does it hurt? It might be that it is just taking some extra strain right now, and that as the operated hip improves it may be that the pain reduces. You know that its in need of replacement anyway, so it's probably going to feel the strain a bit more than a healthy hip. Like you I will need the other one replacing some time, but so far it doesn't hurt so not yet. But ideally you want to get the operated side nice and strong so that it can help out the other side when it is done.

Speak to your doctor - there must be some help you can get with the pain so that you can get on with recovering. Good luck. And come back any time. Sometimes just having a good old moan about the pain makes you feel better! And that's ok here....

• Posted

Thank everyone for the advice , it helps me a lot ,my a great group. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.