Cocodamol withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I am 56 hours into cocodamol cold turkey. Ive been taking these devil pills for 6 months now. I need off them. I'm a mom of 2 little angels, they don't need nor deserve to see their mom like this. I slipped up about 2 hours ago, took 3 8/500 as got a killer headache. Was taking 3-4 30/500 every 3 hours. Any advice please? Have I prolonged my withdrawal? Thanks

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gemma, I tried cold turkey at the start of this week and I just couldn't do it. I had a headache that felt like my head was going to explode and I couldn't function at work or home so it's made me see cold turkey isn't for me. I've kept on taking the pills and this week will try and reduce them and come off gradually. Currently I take 4 at a time and can easy go through a full pack some days. But my plan is to take 3 a time for a week or so then reduce to 2 etc. I am determined to stop this as it's been my life for almost 10 years.

Don't beat yourself up about going back and taking the pills. You just have to find a way that works for you. I wish you luck in kicking this horrible addiction. Keep in touch and post how you are doing

xxx

• Posted

Thank you for replying. The sad thing is I did it last may then slipped up. My withdrawals are mild compared to some stories I've read. I can do it as Ive overcome a lot worse. Just wanna know if by taking them 3 tablets this morning, Ive prolonged my withdrawal as I start my new job tomorrow xxx

• Posted

Claire Did you know that codeine as can all the opiates cause severe headaches?
    • Posted

Its a wonder you are still alive going through a whole pack a day. That is terrible.
    • Posted

Thanks for that, I am fully aware of the situation I'm in and that's why I'm trying to sort it out.

• Posted

Good for you.  If you are detrmined to drop the habit then you are halfway there.

I was  prescribed co codamol for a shoulder injury and was only taking 3 to 4 a week. Yes a week. I suffered severe headaches , sweating at night, dry eyes, anorexia, weight loss, severe depression and anxiety etc and I did not even crave the rotten things.

I stopped taking them went cold trkey . It was the best thing I ever did.

A neighbour of mine is prescribed co codamol for migraine. She has to go to bed all day three times a week. I tried telling her that codeine causes analgesia induced chronic migraines but she refuses to listen. It is so frustrating. Sorry to keep on and on about it.

​I took a tiny dose of codeine four months ago and suffered dreadfully. So the lesson I learbned is that once someone suffers at the hands of an opiate that even aa tiny dose will be detrimental. Needless to say I will never ever take that drug again . Take care. You can get through this. 

• Posted

Claire Forgot to mention that magnesium helps during withdrawal as it relaxes the muscles and reduces the spasms . Take care. xx
    • Posted

Gemma

Just posted to Claire re withdrawal.

​I was advised to take magnesium as it relaxes  muscles therefore helping with the spasms caused by codeine and enhanced with withdrawal.

You can take it orally or alternatively by spraying magnesium oil onto the skin or taking epsom salt baths.

There are even forums and advocacy groups for magnesium now!!!!!

• Posted

Getting there now. About of restless legs. Headache seems to have gone. So hopefully the cocodamol I took this morning hasn't prolonged my recovery

• Posted

Hi Gemma You should be okay. Just keep off the stuff. Do not let this drug control your life anymore.You can get thru this
    • Posted

Well it's 90 hours since last full day of taking them. Seem a little better. Legs are killing but I'm trying magnesium for this. Still got bouts of diarrhoea but hopefully that will pass soon. I was a heroin addict for 7 yrs and on a methadone programme which I came off no problem cold turkey but cocodamol sucks and so does the withdrawal from it

• Posted

You are doing really well! Keep it up hun!

I'm starting to reduce my doseage from today, cold turkey just didn't work for me unfortunately. But I won't give up, have to get off these xxxx

• Posted

Just slipped up again. Took 2 as my legs are really fidgety and I start my new job in a hour. Feeling really disappointed in myself now. Just wanna cry. xxx
    • Posted

Done beat yourself up about it, it's not easy to do this! You are going to have slip ups but just don't let them get the better of you. It's not the end of the world, and you are doing really well!

Hope the job goes well xx

• Posted

The codeine will cause depression etc. Theywill do nothing for the rls or pain. Absolutely nothing!!

The mind is tricking the body into believing that you need to replenish the supply of this poison. Don't let your mind/body play tricks with you anymore. Tell yourself that when you get a headache, spasms, rls, depression it is that bloody drug that is causng this. The word causing is important.

?The only option is to take control by stopping taking this poison.

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.