Issues with diarrhea?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone experienced diarrhea as a side effect taking Citalopram?

I started on the drug a few weeks ago for anxiety and depression.  Everything was working fine until recently.  The diarrhea came about, yet at first I didn't think it was a side effect.  Then I noticed it wasn't going away.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have been on citalopram since October and noticed it a few weeks after taking it too. Spoke to my doctor recently who first suggested stopping the medication and giving it 2 months to check it is definitely the medication but after being wary about this he offered to swap my medication. Everything else has improved with citalopram and I was worried about any side effects by doing this so I decided to try and help it. I now have a yakult within a few hours of taking it first thing, I have also changed dosage to a bit later in the morning incase it doesn't agree with an empty stomach. Also have noticed alcohol and rich food or excessive amounts of carbs make it come on too. This has helped greatly and maybe worth a try? Hope it improves for you soon x

• Posted

Hey Slayer. Unfortunately it can be a side effect of Cit. Usually doesnt last long but can be nasty!!!!
    • Posted

Thanks, I was hoping it would only be temporary.
    • Posted

Was for me. I didnt go out for a few days though!!!! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.