New TN patient on 700 mg of Carbamazepine for almost a week

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with TN in Sept went from 15 days between episodes to 10 days or less.  Neurologist just increased my dose to 700 mg 3 00 morning and 400 at night.  My husband thinks it is all because of my crossbite with my teeth.  Some one please advice this is really depressing to me.  The attacts are really bad.  I am hoping the latest increase helps me out,

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie,if you do have tn,i would.like to let you know that i have a friend that managed her symptoms for a good 15 years on your new dose. Her doctor feels it was caused by a dental procedure. Fingers crossed first of all that its not tn and secondly that if it is the meds work well for you. Xx
  • Posted

Ii was diagnosed with TGN. About t years ago and finally increased my meds to 200 mg of Carbamazapine 3 times a day then later added 600 mg of Gabapentin 3 times a day per my Neurologist. The meds began to make me shake similar to Parkinson, so I began weening back to carob only and it controlled pain fairly well

For past two years. Unfortunately, I made visit to dentist for cleaning and checkup and within 48 hours pains increased similar to before. I am currently back on doses of both meds similar to before. Hoping to get relief soon. By the way, my pain seems to come from upper teeth but dentist has enraged couple times and nothing. My neurologist had MRI early on and determined was TGN, not dental. Good luck with your pain management.

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

I started with Carbamazepine 100gms 4 times a day but as the pain got

worse they upped it to 200gsm morning and night and 100gsm twice in the

daytime. Eventually I ended up taking 400gsm 4 times a day. Also was

talking between 50-100mg of Amitriptyline depending on how bad the pain

got. At first the Carbamazepine was helping but then it got to the stage where

it wasn't and I opted for the MVD.

Were you diagnosed through having an MRI? Have you seen an orthodontist who

could check out if it is your crossbite? When you're in such bad pain it can

make you depressed too, which doesn't help. You're in good company here and

I'm sure more people will respond to your post.

• Posted

I was diagnosed by a neurologist who had ordered a mri and ct to check for tumors and both test showed nothing.  with the symptons she guarnanteed me it was TN and I still believe her.  but working with a dentist, orthod, neuologist, vision, and physical therapist.  the lower splint has helped tremondously.  so I think they are now on the right track and hope i continue there.!!

• Posted

Ive ben reading about root canals and how they actually leve a toxic tooth in your jaw,since alot of tn stems from dental procedures,wonder how many could be caused by that.
    • Posted

that is interesting because a few years ago I had one,

I will keep that in mind

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.