mrgfus hifu for fibroids

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm sure they're going to take my posts down again. I'm trying to find out if anyone has had this procedure??? I would love to hear your experience I'm a nervous wreck about it but it's supposedly non invasive and great success rates.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

tina what procedure are you asking about?  If it is not a medically approved method, then yes, admin will take it down.  If it is 1. Hysterectomy; 2; Myomectomy; 3. Embolization; 4. Ablation; 5. Waiting; or 6. MRI guided Focused Ultrasound then it's all good to discuss.

• Posted

Hi yes MRI guided Focused Ultrasound that's what i'm doing in 2 days. They keep taking down my posts, I think they think I'm a practioner or something. I'm just trying to see who's had it done so I can feel more comfortable with it. It's self paying insurances do not cover it. Totally non invasive and the risks are DVT, internal bleeding and a few other minor complication possiblities but I'm still nervous. It doesn't guraentee 100% shrinkage but I don't care. I'm a complete nut and worried about any other type of possible surgery to get them removed. Total basket case so I'm opting for this. I'm only in my early 40's so I'm just trying to buy time until menopause to get some shrinkage for the interim. Shrinkage potential is 30 to 80 %. If I get this done and all goes well I'm going to be a super advocate of this I don't know why more people haven't heard of it. I wish there were more people to talk to...

• Posted

I have seen where people who use too many abbriviations in their descriptions as well as people who give homeopathic advice also have their messages deleted.  Oh, and anyone who puts a link to a web site gets it deleted too.  
  • Posted

I'd do it if I could but mine are too large. Where r you getting it done?

• Posted

Heather,

If your fibroids are too large you can take hormone therapy to shrink them.  That is what I am doing.  But here in Canada we have only 1 hospital that does the proceedure, so I have a long, long wait.

• Posted

Hi, unfortunately for me, I've had hormone therapy but it hasn't worked at all. So I'm scheduled for UFE as its too big for MRI GUS - good luck let me know how you get on, looks a great procedure from what I can see on the net. If the tissue is destroyed it has to decreased, whereas with UFE there can be more arteries feeding it which it looks like in my case.

• Posted

Hi Tina,

I am writing in late Dec 2017.  Did you have your MRg FUS treatment?  I am scheduled for this treatment in 6 weeks, but I will have to take the medication in 2 weeks and I am trying to see how things have gone for others.  How did you procedure go?  Are you satisfied with the results so far?  I am 49 and also hoping that this will help me get to menopause without surgery. I already had 2 huge fibroids removed 7 years ago, but now I have a big one giving me some issues.  I am still in time to have the MRg FUS treatment at it is not too big.

Please let me know.  

• Posted

Hi Heather,

Thank you for writing to me.  I live near Boca Raton, Florida, so I can do it here.  I was all ready to get started, but then I decided to check in with the surgeon who did my myomectomy 7 years ago to get her opinion.  I was opting for the MRg FUS because it seems that once you finish the very uncomfortable treatment, that should be it.  According to her, the aftermath of the MRg FUS would likely be similar to that of UFE in which you are likely to have discharge for weeks and possibly pain.  

So now I think I will delay the  MRg FUS and think about it a bit more.  Did you do the UFE?  Here in the US it is covered by insurance while the MRg FUS is not.  Can you share your experience with it if you did?  

• Posted

Would have tried either but they said wouldn't work for my fibroid, which seemed like it was fairly degenerated though still 13 cm & has never been any bigger. So looks like its gotta be surgery for me & I was trying to avoid that at all costs!

• Posted

Hi Tina,

I'm having MRgFUS done next week and I am also a nervous wreck. How did it go for you? Any advice for the day or afterwards? I'd love to hear anything that you think might be of use. Thank you!!

Cheers,

Maria

• Posted

Hi Maria,

I wanted it & was supposedly eligible (right age/size fibroid) but then was told my fibroid looked as if it was degenerating. Where are you having it done? How old are you? What type/size fibroids? I am excited for you.

• Posted

Hi Heather,

I did it! I had it done in St Mary's hospital in London. I am 39 and I have/had a submucosal fibroid of about 7cm. It was studied first by an ultrasound and then MRI by a BUPA covered gynaecologist, he liaised with the radiologist in St. Mary's after I told him I wanted MRgFUS (all he was offering was open surgery as I couldn't have embolization) who saw the MRI and said I was eligible. I was battling with BUPA and making a claim with the Financial Ombudsman to try and have it paid for, but it was unsuccessful. This January I decided to pay for it myself and got an appointment. 

I'm not going to lie, the procedure is not invasive ... but it does hurt quite a lot during the process. However, recovery has been amazing, I was back to work 3 days after and in 1 week I was doing already hardcore classes in the gym. 

I haven't had my first period jet, so I can't comment on the symptoms result yet, but they managed to fry up more than 95% of the fibroid, which the radiologist said was an excellent result. So I am positive and hoping to see changes during the next few months.

Let me know if you have any other questions, OK? And good luck getting rid of yours

• Posted

Hi Maria, I was looking for MRGFUS info online and came across this discussion. I live in Ireland and hope to have a consultation around this treatment with someone in UK. I and my doctors here don't know the right consultant to talk with to know more about this treatment. Can which radiologist or gynaecologist did this at St. Mary's hospital for you and I can book the appointment with that doctor to discuss my options. I will be of huge help, thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.