Tibolone/Livial half dose

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi just wondering if anyone who is on Livial has tried a half dose of the 2.5mg?

I have been on it just over 3 months + wasn't doing too bad but have piled the weight on, got bad bloating and water retention + don't know whether to try halving it to see how I do.

Thanks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I remember a scientific study saying that an 1,25 dose is as effective as a 2,5. Guessing the difference is in the side effects and between women, meaning that a small group will need more, and a small group will need less.
    • Posted

Thanks, yes I have read that for libido, the smaller dose works as well. I don't have any libido anyway though I did for a few days in first month of taking it. I feel like I am going to burst wirh water retention and weight gain though.

Trouble is joint/tendon pains can be due to both too much and too little oestrogen so I suppose I can only try it out.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi I just got my repeat prescription of livial and it's in a different coloured packet it's green and the one I been using was a white and pink box I wonder why x

• Posted

Funnily enough, my latest prescription was different too. I have been given brand name Livial in a green strip. The last one was generic Tibolone.Often depends on the pharmacy.

I have started taking a half dose from today to see what happens and if I don't get much improvement in the next couple of weeks, I am going to go back to Premarin but try a lower dose.

Let me know if you have any changes. Logically, it shouldn't make a difference as the active ingredients is the same but sometimes absorption can differ with different fillers used etc.

• Posted

After one year ,by advise of my gynecologist I take half dose and I feel Ok.I take Tibolone after 15 years.
    • Posted

Hi Maria, glad you feeling ok. What was the reason for reducing and do you mean you were taking full dose Tibolone for 15 years? Did you have side effects?

Only day two of reduction and water retention gone, don't know if menopause symptoms will get worse but had bad joint pains anyway. Bit worried that if reduced dose suits me, it won't protect against osteoporosis but can't find any information on that.

• Posted

I think we are all different and our needs are different I'm scared of reducing my tibolone dose just in case it all comeS back with avengence x

• Posted

Gave up yesterday and have gone back on Premarin but at half the high dose I was on. Think it may take time to dig myself out of this hormonal hole. Good luck everyone x
    • Posted

Hi 

Ano this post was 5 months ago.

but how are you getting on with Premarin 

my gp has put me on that to try instead of the tiberlone iv been on for 15 years.

she said I don't need estrogen and progesterone. ??? After 15 years what change. Iv been fine with it. 

• Posted

Hi Julie, I finally came off Premarin to try Progynova - taking 1mg  and 1mg at night. Also trialling testosterone. Good days and bad.  Tibolone doesn't contain progesterone as it's a steroid but it has progestoner-type effects. Maybe she thinks an oestrogen based hrt has less risks but if Tibolone suits, I would stay on it. It piled the weight on me very quickly so wasan option long term.

• Posted

Hi 

thank you for replying.

what a nightmare week iv had.

tried the first Premarin last friday, 0.3mg Saturday I had a migraine no matter what I took it wouldn't go, didn't put it down to them until Monday eve, so didn't take one on tue morn and thoughout the day my the headache subsided. So I phoned the surgery saying I wanted the tiberlone back, because I had ran out, after 15 years I'm not going cold turkey. They after 3 day reluctantly gave me a months supply until I have a review on the 21st.

I went 3 days without anything and hot flushes and dizziness started kicking in.

im on sertraline for health anxiety, so I have put on weight with being on those. I wish they could make medicines that don't interfere with out weight.

so I'm looking at a estrogen one only with the least side effects.😏

• Posted

i tried and tried the tibolone, now i have been started on Angelique . Will see how it goes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.