After 10 years coming off. How long can you stay on?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm coming off Venlafaxine after 10 years thought it was the right time,I have been on them so long.

I have been on maintenance dose for while dropped from 75 to 37mg then stopped withdrawal is awful. How do I know if I'm doing right thing? How long can you safely stay on them?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, do you mind my asking how old you are?  How long have you been entirely off?  I'm sorry you are having a hard time.  Ven is not a med to be gotten off quickly.

You may have gone about doing the right thing the wrong way, coming off much too fast.  I came off too quickly back in 2014 and suffered a protracted withdrawal that built up steam over months, ended up back on, not realizing it was withdrawal.  Now I am doing a slow taper off and doing just fine on a very subtherapeutic dose.  At least you can tell that your symptoms are from withdrawal.  I can tell you that it is no fun having to taper slowly, wanting off but knowing going too fast will cause havoc, but it is a least-harm approach.  If you have been off for less than a month, you might want to consider reinstating 37 and then doing the slow taper from there once you feel stabilized.  Work with your doctor.  

I don't think anyone can tell you how long you can safely stay on ithem.   I know many many folks on withdrawal forums who are fine taking their time coming off.  Much better than staying on indefinitely.

Coming off means you must look into other ways to handle emotions in a healthy way.  These drugs blunt emotions so when coming off, you are bound to "feel" again and need to have healthy ways to process emotions.  Cognitive behavior therapy is good, but there's tons of self-care methods available to us now.  

• Posted

I did the CITB several times and found it valueable in the past. I may need to try Fluxotine just feel it's time to stop venlafaxine and have feelings again. 10 years is long enough on venlafaxine or any drug

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

Were you on tablets or capsules? I take Vensir XL, I have reduce by 12.5mg every 2-3 weeks. The capsules contain pellets that are 12.5mg each. I have reduced from 225mg to 150mg over about 3 months. If you take the tablets ask if you can change to capsules and then work it out that way.

• Posted

Thanks for reply. I have tried several times to come off and always ended up back on them. They definitely helped me but feel now is the right time to stop. I have been on maintenance dose of 37.5 for at least a year and stopped last Thursday

Dr had given me Diazepam to help with withdrawal for next week. I may need to get other ant depressant she mentioned Fluxotine.

• Posted

Hi Lorrain.  I've been on Effexor XR 75 for 10+ years.  Since 4 years ago, I've been tapering very very slowly.  I'd say I was on 37.5 for the past 3 years.  As of a year ago, I managed to get down to 4 beads a day, virtually nothing.  I'm now at 2 beads a day with no ill effects or withdrawal.  I will continue this way for another 5-6 months, then drop to 1 bead and hold on that for another 6 months and then that'll be it.  Hoping all this good work will not have been a futile exerise!  Keep the faith.  It can be done.  Key is not to rush, NEVER RUSH!  That's when you get into trouble.  Slow and easy is a must to guarantee a good outcome.  Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks. I was on tablets rather than capsules so bit more difficult..once down to 37.5mg you just have to stop. Withdrawal getting easier now, that's just over a week. I got diazepam for withdrawal symptoms and sleeping tablets to help with sleeping.

Just hope the dreaded Black dog stays away and stopping pills works this time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.