Have to have both hips replaced.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. I'm a 44 year old female and am about to have my hip replaced March 6th. I need both replaced but they are doing the left one first. My right one however hurts way more than my left and is now about 2 inches shorter than my left leg. I am a little fearful as to how my recovery will go being that your supposed to rely on your non operated leg for the first while. Just wondering if anyone else has went through the same thing and has some advice to offer. Thank-you.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carrie, I had both mine replaced at the same time which wasn't too bad. The first two weeks were hard but after that it was pretty good. My only issue now is that my left side is taking a lot longer to heal than my right. I'm also 44.

• Posted

Thanks Kim. That must have been hard for you. I don't understand how they can do double hip replacements when you're not supposed to put your full weight on your operated leg right away. However did you manage?

• Posted

Hi Carrie, I was allowed to put full weight on both hips right away but really relied on my walker for 2 weeks.
    • Posted

Oh okay. Thank-you for the info Kim. Glad your doing well😊

• Posted

Hi Kim, did you have both done anterior from the front?
  • Posted

It's true, we do have to rely on the non-surgical leg for support, even though we use walking aids, too. May I ask why they don't do the right hip first, especially since it is more painful and it is shorter?

If it must be the left first, then you may just have to use walking aids for a longer time and be on heavier-duty pain meds. Wishing you all the best with this, Carrie!

• Posted

Hi Annie, I believe it's because it was not until recently that I was told I had to have the right one done also. It was 2 years ago when I was told I had to have the left one done. The surgeon made me hold off because of my age. I made an appointment to see him before surgery. I am going to ask him if there's any way he could do the right one first. If he can't that's where the worry comes into play as the right is so much worse. I'm already on a ton of meds and can't take one step without a cane or Walker. I'm sure it will be fine was just curious as to how other people made out.

Thanks Annie

• Posted

It makes no sense not to do the worst one first. It will make your recovery so much easier. Glad you are going to ask!
  • Posted

Hi I had both replaced within 8 months. One from the back posterior and one from the front anterior.

The one grime the front... recovery was a piece of cake compared to the one from side/back. Cs they have to cut your muscle and the recovery was rough.

The front one anterior I went to the bathroom by myself right after surgery ... they just move the muscles and ligaments no cutting sooooo much better. Not everybody can do the front one, they need a special table for that.

I would research posterior and anterior it is worth it Carrie. The same year I had the posterior I also had hand surgery and 2 neck surgeries same year 2013.

2014 front hip replaced.

2015 fusion T10/11 where our bra closure strap is. It sucks I can feel the screws 24/7

2016 stem cells for my crushed lower back L4/5 and S1, but it was for nothing ;-(

• Posted

Oops I forgot to mention to have them do your worst one first!!! Insist they do the bad one first or your rehab won't go good!!!

• Posted

Wow Schnubbi you sure have had your share of surgies hon. I hope your doing well. They are doing what is called the Harding lateral approach for both of mine. My GP said that was better than the postierer approach as they are more solid that way. Way less chance of dislocation. I assume thats from the side though. Lucky you to have had them do it from the front. I've never heard of that approach till now. I'm in Canada, not sure if there doing them here that way yet. I will totally ask my surgeon if he will do the right one first. We know our pain much better than they do. Thank-you for the advice.

Carrie😊

• Posted

Thanks for your response Carrie. I wish you good luck, quick healing. Take it slow don't be super woman. I tried to feed my 2 horses fell flat on my tailbone (thought it was broken) and ended up having pelvic floor dysfunction and rectocele. Walk, walk, walk. I can't sit, stand and walk long now -with walker- I spend most of my time on my bed watching my horses through the window and my hips and leg muscles are VERY weak. It all had a ripple effect. If you can Carrie keep moving after surgery. I used to ballroom dance 💃🏽 XOXO Let us know how you are doing please 🌻

• Posted

Oh hon. I'm sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. Can you get your muscles to strengthen with time so you can lead a more productive life? And thank-you. I will definitely take things slow. I have OCD and until this happened was always on the go, so I hope I don't mind the cobwebs building up till I can get to them...lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.