Possible COPD symptoms..I need some advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Alright so a little background on me..I'm 24,and I've had reoccurring Bronchitis for a few years straight,and the episodes have lasted for 3-4 months at a time. I never really smoked,but from the time I was very little,to when I was 14,I visited my grandma's house quite often. My grandpa was a very heavy smoker,and for several years when I was there,I breathed in quite alot of secondhand smoke. Like the air in the entire house was just dense with cigarette smoke. I've always had issues breathing since I was 13.And when I was 22,my doctor listened to my lungs and said I had Asthma. He prescribed me a rescue inhaler,and a long acting inhaler..yet I still would have trouble breathing. I remember going to several doctor's,noticeably having trouble breathing,however most just dismissed it and sent me on my way. Then later that year I caught Bronchitis,and it lasted for 3 1/2 months..Every other year after that I would catch Bronchitis, and it would last around 3 months. That's when my breathing got worse after that. Yes I used my long acting inhaler as directed,but I was also using my rescue inhaler 6-7 times per day..The shortness of breath continued.And a few days ago,I had a scary episode at work,where I started turning really pale,was breathing really rapidly,was coughing nonstop,and my airways felt like they were closing up,and my chest went into a broncospasm to add to it. Needless to say,work had to send me home and I went straight to the hospital. I was put on 2 breathing treatments,and given a referral to a Pulmonologist..which I have an appointment with tomorrow. My question is,does it just sound like Asthma that isn't controlled on my current medicines,or could it be COPD?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Feel sorry for you Queen, but it seems like you have asthma as the feeling of COPD is a lot different then what you have. Since the day I joined this website I have seen people like us having a lot similar symptoms lately. From the explanation you gave it seems like you had an acute asthma attack. People like us who has asthma, when get something like broncitis can get a lot worse. Asthma attack is something in which you cant breath which is not in the case of COPD. COPD is lot like you get breathless when excerting yourself and with time that breathlessness increases. I have been struggling with this for almost 2 years now. Slowly getting better though. I would say wait for your appointment with pulmonologist. If possible ask for a breathing test which could easily rule out COPD. Everyone is different some people feel worse then others. Say away from smoke and try to have a clean environment around you. Vitamin D seems to be good for people like asthma. You can try that. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hi I too think this is much more asthma than copd.  Copd tends to be an 'older' persons disease and most suffers don't get it until their 40's or later and more often after decades of smoking.  It would be not be unheard of for it to be diagnosed at your young age but it would be very unusual. 

It sounds to me your asthma isn't well controlled and I would concentrating on getting this sorted out.  Do you have a consultant?  If not I would ask to be referred to one. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.