4 weeks post Tibia/Fibula shattered

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

January 16/17 I fell on the ice/snow while walking out to feed our horses. I shattered my tibia & fibula.

Surgeon placed 4 plates, 9 pins and quite a few screws. I spent a week in the hospital due to very high blood pressure post op as well as fevers. They had a surgical soft cast on my lower leg for 2 weeks, and now I'm in an air cast. My question is - is it normal for my leg to turn a dark

Purple colour when I have it down ? Also, what should I expect over the next few weeks of recovery ? I am non weight bearing for the next 3 months

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Elle,

this is normal My leg below ankle and foot would swell and turn purplish color each time I put it down,.This is why it is recommended to RICE (raise, ice, compress, elevate).

• Posted

Thanks for your reply,

My leg is elevated 90% of the time, and I use ice packs as well. I was just given the go ahead to bathe, so it's down long enough to settle into a bath or to crutch to the restroom.

It seems like others had a fibreglass or plaster cast on for a few weeks before the air cast as well ?? I went into an air cast 2 weeks post op ....

• Posted

Elle,

it depends on what kind of break you had.

I had a trimalleolar ankle break on December 17th ,2016 and a surgery next day. I have seven screws, two pins , and a plate in my ankle. I was NWB for six week with my leg in a cast for two weeks and in a boot in for four more weeks. So it seems that your break is less complicated than mine. I bathed for the longest time with my foot hanging to the side. Nobody told me that I could not submerge the foot, but I felt very protective of it and felt better with it not being out of the water. It is such a treat to be able to properly bathe wink I wish you a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

I completely shattered the Tibia/fibula - 4 plates 9 pins and quite a few screws so I'm not sure it's less complicated ... regardless of how bad it is, I was just looking for insight as to what I should expect over the next few weeks smile

• Posted

So you had a cast for 2 weeks and then the boot - that makes me feel better hearing that smile

• Posted

So I guess we are on par with our injuries. I am a month ahead of you on recovery path. Three weeks ago I started physio therapy. I had six sessions so far ( one hour session twice a week ) . I ditched the boot after my first PT session (week seven of recovery). I just found it to be more comfortable to walk without a boot as it made my legs uneven. I also went to one crutch the same week (week seven of recovery). Next week I lost last crutch. My PT told me to get a cane, but I thought that will give it a try for a couple of days and it all worked out. I marked week nine of my recovery yesterday. I walked 11804 steps today per my watch. Yesterday it was only 7500 steps. Most of the walking is done in the pool. I found out that walking in the pool is the best thing for gaining strength and flexibility. Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to share my experience. I found lots of advices on this forum. I would be happy to pay back wink

• Posted

Right. They told me that they could put me in another cast  or in the boot if I promise no to step on it. I had lot of pain in incision sites in the boot. It is not most comfortable. But I was taking it off for the night after the second week.  
  • Posted

Hi yes it is normal for it to look like that when it's down I shattered my ankle 6 years ago I had 4 surgeries during the first year. But it became worse and arthritis grew and made it so painful. I just had an ankle replacement this past December and I'm still healing it takes a while for your leg coloring to become normal so don't concern yourself about this as you heal it will get better. I hope you feel better

• Posted

You are welcome I'm here if you have more questions good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.