Molluscum Contagiosum

Posted , 9 users are following.

I need some guidance.  My 8 year old daughter has Molluscum Contagiosum.  The district nurse and school determined that she can not attend school due an outbreak on her neck, under her chin and a bump on her face.  It would be physically impossible to bandage the effected areas which would be neccessary for her to step foot into the school.  We live in CA and are now faced with a "Hospital School" arrangement to continue her education.  She is in special education for a learning disability and for speech.  Through home hospital all special education assistance will be halted and she will now only receive 5 hours of home instruction through home visit by a teacher.  I am completely on edge and nervous about what kind of damage this is doing to her both academically and emotionally.  Please share thoughts, I am completely devastated.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you are going through this!  It does become a little more complicated once it reaches the face, my daughters only ever have them on their arms/legs, torso, armpits. Have you been to see a dermatologist about this? I think in your case it's special circumstances, now it's on the face and not being able to attend school.   I found the small round spot bandages helpful...maybe you can use these on the neck on the spots that look very close to breaking open. The key is to identify each spot and the stage they are at, in preventing more spreading. Try to boost your daughters immune system too, I think those kids with a lower immune system have more problems figthing it off.  Once again, so sorry you are going through this, I had so many times of frustration and tears over this. It's a shame more information was given out about this by healthcare workers and then we wouldn't have to resort to searching online for help!  Don't hesitate to contact me if you need any other help. 

• Posted

My daughter had this 28 yrs ago and now her children have it.

Obviously they lack the natural immunity that others have as they

Just keep spreading and cross infecting. I have found the new product

Mollinol reasonably effective but over priced. It contains oil of cloves and

Coconut oil. I have found a 50% mixture of oil of cloves and 50% tea tree oil

painted carefully on each spot with a clean cotton bud, will bring them

quickly to a head, usually three days. It does burn or sting for about 2minutes

Once popped, reapply morning and night and cover with

bandaid or clothing if possible. Will disappear in three days.Neither oil is for

Internal use and will really burn sensitive areas, eyes and lips etc. Do not apply

To sensitive areas. Simply try on one spot first to ensure level of sensitivity.

Dilute with coconut oil if sensitivity occurs. For stubborn spots, sterilize a needle

And knick the top. Then apply the clove oil solution.This will allow it to penetrat,

Better and kill the virus. Obviously observe hygiene rules, clean towel pyjamas

And clothes daily. Showers and body wash not soap.discourage scratching

And frequent hand washing. Good luck.

• Posted

There are two natural remedies that are effective if you want to avoid Imiquimod Cream and cantharidin cream.

The first is a preparation called Fixalip in a small roll on bottle which you apply on the lesions as frequently as you can (every couple of hours even). It has a mixture of alcohols and ether and works by drying the lesions quickly. 

The second is clove oil again applied to the lesions with a cotton bud  twice daily.

Let me know how you go. John Catsicas Melbourne Australia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.