Leg length after total hip replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

How does the surgeon make sure your legs are the same length after the op

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My Surgeon used a computer and x-ray to determine his final measurements for the hip replacement. I am 17 days post op and have never seen or felt a discrepancy.

Kristen

• Posted

They always make a measured stenciled map from xray and on computer to march up,components best way for hip and leg length sometime there is a bit of a difference is due to the hip replacing missing tissue since usualy most THR are bone one bone. Usualy the opposite hip is warn down too. In my experience my hip needed a bone graft to repair the wear as a result the metal cup was added to the hip is such a way so the hip would not dislocate due to position from wear on the joint.an was a bit longer in length. Protecting the hip from dislocation for years is usually more important than matching leg length. See more info online.
  • Posted

unfortunately they don't always manage it! I was left with half inch difference and have to have an insole in my shoe now to correct this

• Posted

Hi,

Was very worried about leg length ( had op 10 weeks ago).  The surgeon used a scan to measure legs and said 5 measurements taken during op. 

Not 100% sure if worked or not as am having a slow recovery!

The left hip was so stiff before the op and the pelvis had tried to compensate by twisting.  Some days operated leg feels much longer but sometimes not too bad. Hopefully will all sort itself out as pelvis readjusts!  However because of this still using crutches outside!!  Keep doing the physio exercises to strengthen but can't believe how long healing process takes.

Was told that sometimes may be a couple of mm difference as the implants aren't custom made.

Good luck with your op and wish you a speedy recovery. x

• Posted

Unfortunately they don't always manage I have leg discrepancy 1.3 cm

but hopefully when next hip will be done they will sort it out

Hug Madla

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.