Scar is very sensitive to light touch, any thing to help with this?

Posted , 11 users are following.

This is the beginning of the 7th week of my TKR and my scar is very sensitive to light touch.  I can rub and press on it without problems but when my pants or PJs rub on it the feeling is like it is on fire.  I rub vitamin E oil on it at least twice a day.  My PT advised me to use a towel to rub over it during the day to help desensitive it but I have found no relief,  Any suggestions?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am in my 5 th week and find the same thing... I can touch it with no problem but let the sheet or my pants touch it and I could scream! What could make such a difference?.
  • Posted

Hi Christine I think that just like everything else this just takes time. Keep doing what you are doing and on time it will improve. I'm at 9 weeks now and mine is just beginning to improve. Hope it settles soon 😊

• Posted

I also have sensitivity when something touches my knee. I put a large bandage or large bandaid

on my knee when I have to wear slacks. This has helped me tremendously.

Have a blessed day!

• Posted

Thanks I will look for some large bandaids and try it...
  • Posted

Dear Christine

I had the same problem until about week 6. I was also advised to get the Vit E Tablets, cut them open and to not only massage them on the scar but massage my leg with circular movements with two fingers. Start at an area that is the least affected. I was told this is nerve pain and my leg would burn even the sheet touched my leg. When I started the massages it was really painful but I kept it up for 4 days and desensitized the leg. My actual kneecap still feels like that from time to time.

Also at night I would wear my ace bandage over my pj pants - too sensitive to wear on my actual skin, but one night took a 4 legged low stool and placed it under the bedding to form a "tent".

I remember my home therapist was insistent that I get the actual gel caps and not Vit E oil from a bottle.

Can't give you medical advise but just shared with you the medical advise what was given to me and the outcome of my experience.

So sorry you have this! It was (besides the terrible pain) one of my number one complaint and the burning sensation was maddening. Hope you get some relief.

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post op. I went through that exact thing- sensivity/ pain/fire on kneecap and along scar line. My PT therapist started massaging my knee with vitamin E cream and Bio Freeze. I have been doing the same a few times a day and feel remarketly better. When I go to PT I do put a very large bandage covering my entire knee. That way I can do the exercises on my stomach without screaming because of the pressure on kneecap. I got the vitamin E cream and Bio Freeze (32 ounces) on Amazon.

I really think that the vitamin E cream softens the skin and helps with the tightness on my kneecap. Try it!

• Posted

Nerves are the last of the healing process to take place. Slowly this will fade away. Until then you can loosely wrap an ace bandage or try a neoprene sleeve. Dr might offer gabepentin as a relief
  • Posted

Pernaton seems to help me.  I rub it on and leave it to dry. A smooth skin is formed and this appears to do the trick.

Mike

• Posted

Try wearing yoga pants. They are very soft and made to be comfortable during all movement. I wore yoga pants (long ones) during the winter and fall and yoga Capri pants (shorter ones) during my whole first YEAR.

I'm in year two now and can FINALLY wear my jeans again!👖😁

• Posted

Try wearing yoga pants. They are very soft and made to be comfortable during all movement. I wore yoga pants (long ones) during the winter and fall and yoga Capri pants (shorter ones) during my whole first YEAR.

I'm in year two now and can FINALLY wear my jeans again!👖😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.