Post-Op Heller Myotomy + Toupet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my heller myotomy last Wednesday with a toupet fundoplication. My experience has been this: I am now able to eat easier and dont feel things getting stuck they just go down slow. I did have pain, not really from the incisions but I get really bad esophagus spasms that started the night of my surgery. The pain gets so horrible and it last a while I dont really know what to do to stop that pain. Other than the spasms I had really bad shoulder pain but I expected that. Heating pads and walking help it go away sooner. Does anyone have any suggestions for the spasms I've been getting? The pain is pretty intesnse sometimes waking me up at night. I notice it's most times triggered when I eat any cold food (ice cream, milkshake, ect. ) or when the a/c is on really high and I feel cold.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are in pain...... when I get these spasms I eat a banana..... if 1 is not enough I have another.  I know it sounds silly but give it a go...... you have nothing to lose. I now always have at least one banana ( in its case )  in my bag..... it always works for me.      Let me know! 

cheers,

Janski 

• Posted

I would try a banana but they still have me on a liquid diet these days so im kinda afraid to try it until they say its ok to have more solid stuff. But thank you! I will definitely try after the liquid diet is over!
  • Posted

Sometimes it is trial and error, but some poeple fuind that eating banana helps, and keeping clear of cold food/drink.   Definitely ask the surgeon for a recommendation, buit sometimes Buscopan helps.   Some of it might be the immediate after-effects of the surgery and the nerves twanging, so anything that can relax them and help them settle down should help.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice! I've never heard of buscopan before.

• Posted

I use to get the spasms before I had my POEM procedure. I use to think i was having a heart attack because the pain was so intense. Besides using muscle relaxers one dr told me to put a couple drops of peppermint oil in a cup of Tea at night before bed. It did nothing for me but hey, who knows. Now, I'm having all kinds of problems with acid coming back up my throat and waking me with a terrible burning up by my vocal cords so seeing a surgeon next week about doing a wrap . Hope we both can get some relief. Good luck

• Posted

Oh wow im sorry to hear you have been suffering like that after surgery. Someone recommended peppermint for me too because it's supposed to help relax muscles I guess but it didn't work for me either. I hope your able to get relief with the acid reflux soon.

• Posted

Hi Kayla, glad to see you back and now recovering from the surgery.  Also glad that things seem to be going so well for you.  A friend of mine with Achalasia, has suggested that 'warm' drinks help their spasm pain.  The shoulder pain is to be expected.  In my pre-op info, it said to be prepared to have this, as it is actually some of the gas they pump into you to do the surgery.  This pain will go away, and so will the gas [but that will take a few days!].  I find that cold air almost 'hurts' my chest.  Can't take 'drafts'.  Keep on posting, I and probably others, want to hear how your recovery goes.  hugs

• Posted

Hi Kayla, I'm in the process of having the Heller Myotomy. Is there any helfull hints you can give me? Needless to say I'm a little worried to have it done.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi, I was pretty worried myself but I'll run you through everything if it helps. You'll get signed in then they took me to get ready so hospital gown, made me wipe myself down, put in the iv. This process took a while actually because you also meet with the surgeon and everyone else that will be in the operating room. They sedate you and to be honest with you I dont remember anything after saying bye to my family. I woke up in recovery and spent the night at the hospital. I didnt have any other than soreness a lil in the incisions and also spasms I've been getting in my esophagus but thats not to be expected for you. So just some soreness in the incisions, the nurses will be there give pain meds and anti nausea meds whenever you need. Also they let me have a Popsicle later on the same day of surgery and everything went down good. Eating gets a lot better so you can look forward to that. Everything will be ok. Given you just had surgery you will feel tired as well. Hope I was able to help smile when is your surgery?

• Posted

I meet with the doctor next week so i assume pretty soon.
    • Posted

They just called me, I meet with the surgen on Wed 3/1/17.

Thank you for all the information you have provided.

• Posted

No problem you can always message me if you have anymore questions or just need to talk to ease any nervousness before surgery
  • Posted

Just thought I would say hi, I go in for surgery tomorrow!!! lets hope for the best.
    • Posted

I hope it goes well and I'll keep you in my prayers. Let me know how it went after when you feel well enough to do so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.