week 7 on fluoxetine - no hope

Posted , 21 users are following.

Really not happy with the progress on the fluoxetine, I'v been on 20mg now for 7 weeks and was hoping to be back to my normal self by now. I am also on 80mg propranolol. Is it too early days to change the dosage or meds really hoping for more improvement.

Thanks

2 likes, 482 replies

482 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My ot told me to give it 6 weeks so maybe tome for you to speak to ur gp . Have u always been on 20mg and have u seen any improvements ? Or side effects ? Is it depression or anxiety . I take it for anxiety and they have advised me i will probably have to go up to 30 or 40 mg . Hope this helpee a lil

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I have had a review and I think my gp was keen on me to up to 40mg but before she could really suggest this I had already told her I didn't want to because I had read it can take upto 8-12 weeks and if I up it too 40mg I can start from scratch again.

The gp told me the first time I saw her I have GAD then my therapist thinks I may have depression and anxiety.

• Posted

7 weeks is still early days - these type of meds can take months (took my son 9 months to recover and myself 6 months on a different type).

Everyone is different of course, so you shouldn't base your recovery on anyone else's timings or that your doctor may say 6 weeks etc.  The meds works differently for each inividual so it could take some weeks or many months.

You usually get side effects with each increase, but it usually only lasts a week or so.

Don't put a time frame on your recovery - just let the meds to their thing for you in their own time.

You need a lot of patience and perseverance with these meds.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply just really struggling at the minute feel like my life has been put on hold.
    • Posted

Its not easy I know - we've all been there.  It does get easier though xx

• Posted

I hope so I want to get on with my life and live with partner up our house that we brought ☹️
    • Posted

Kate cogs

I am 13 weeks in 40mg prozac . For anxiety and obsessive worry.  I need some encouragement to stay the course. It started when hurt back in 1999 . Dr put me on Paxil miserable anxiety side effects. 7 months later all better. Felt so good I quit taking it 2006 bad mistake. Started back on Paxil miserable worry and anxiety side effects .6 to 7 months later all better. Quit taking it again fall 2013 bad withdrawal again. Different Dr this time we  decided to go with zoloft about same side effects went through a tornado took about 7 months to get better. I really wanted to come off this medication so I thought zoloft easy to come off. Wrong. We have decided prozac. Had several side effects. All gone but Still have higher anxiety and muscle tension .keep telling myself I will get better be patient.  My history says around 6 months so 3 months still too early. But the worry side of me with the extra anxiety side effect is telling me oh no it won't work.  Lots of extra stress rt now. I just need encouragement that I am doing the right thing and don't give up. Sorry for the long story. 

Thanks

• Posted

Also side effect wake up extra early like 4am. But just lay there and don't want to do anything.  Can't seem to relax.  It will get better be patient! 

• Posted

Hi Brian

Oh poor you - sorry to hear you've had such a time trying to be without SSRI's.  How long did you take withdrawing from each of the medicines?  They take a long, long time to withdraw from ..... not just months.  The slower and these with the smallest reduction is best.  I spent a year coming off meds.  Doing it too quick by too big a jump isn't kind to the body either.

Yes the meds will work - trouble is when you're suffering with anxiety you'll get that negative voice in the background telling you it won't work this time etc etc ..... they are only just thoughts, and you know you'll get better (even though you don't feel it).  You know the medicine works and it will work again for you.

One the biggest things that helped me (as well as taking meds) was learning about anxiety and all its side effects.  

We keep ourselves in the anxiety cycle by being afraid of anxiety ... the very thing we want to escape from.  Negative thoughts, aches / pains, depression, disturbing thoughts, and so many more are all side effects of anxiety ..... all of which we end up worrying about which in turn produces even more anxiety.  So we end up feeding the fire.

Understanding that when the anxiety goes, so do all these side effects ... so really there is no need to worry about them because the main cause is anxiety.  I know though its easier said than done not to worry about them.

When I came off meds I started taking 5-HTP and l-tyrosine.  5-HTP is a natural SSRI and can be bought at any chemist.  I knew I needed something and so went onto these once off prescriptions meds (you cannot take them together).  5-HTP causes no side effects like prescription meds do, and you can start and stop without problems and no withdrawal.  They work quicker too.  So ... this is something to consider once you're off meds in the future.

For now though, the Prozac will work for you.  It is that waiting game again though sadly, but it does get easier as time goes by.  3 months is early days for some, but you're so nearly there, and things should start easing up for you soon.  When I took meds for the second time I told myself they would work, that the thoughts were just a side effect and I just had to wait.  I still worried and felt anxious, but I told myself that anyway.  They worked eventually ..... and I stayed on them for a year, spent a year coming off them and have been meds free since last year now.

I'll private message you too.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for encouraging words. I have to continue with  Prozac 40 for several more months and stick with it.  I also tell myself it will get better even though my anxiety fights it. Thanks again and I will check out that website
  • Posted

Hi I've been on for roughly 4 weeks longer than you and decided to taper off by taking one every other day, please take my advice and see your dr before changing as I have just been off for one day and I feel worse than ever. Seek medical advise and take care

• Posted

After 7 weeks does anyone think I should change the dosage or stick with the 20mg. Has anyone upped their dosage from 20mg to 40mg if so at what stage not sure if 7 weeks is still early but I don't know what to expect like is this it? Just really confused how will I know if the fluox is working at its full potential

• Posted

Abi28 stick with 20 for now, I've been reading all the replies and I'm so glad I found this forum, it's made a real difference to me that I'm not alone in this. Thanks to all, I don't think any of us really want to depend on these medications but thank goodness they are there. Best wishes to all. 

• Posted

I'm trying but it's so up and down today my anxiety is through the roof and I don't know what to do to lower my anxiety levels

• Posted

I feel like my low mood has improved but my anxiety seems worse for some reason. So it feels like as my mood has lifted the anxiety has increased which brings my mood back down but not as bad as I was, I also feel like my negative thoughts and worries don't effect me as bad but are still there and very strong.

As the time goes on does anyone know if my anxiety will improve from the fluox?

• Posted

I too felt my low mood improve, but anxiety seemed to worsen as I got used to it. I have been on fluoxetine for almost 10 weeks now. I keep holding on to hope that it'll get better, but since of course everyone's journey is different, I don't know how much longer it'll be until i get MY breakthrough.

I have to mention that I started working again and I am drinking a cup of coffee every two days or so and it really has sent me over the edge. I need to go back to never ingesting caffeine as that is the safest thing to do (no matter how tired I get during the day). I am tweaking over here. Caffeine for me really messes my nervous system up on this medication.

• Posted

I have been working too I dropped my hours and feel like going work helps me.

One minute I think don't increase and the next I think yes do increase it could really help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.