Low Energy Levels, Unable to Figure Out Why

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've been to a doctor's recently about this issue. It used to be quite worse, and I often required at least 12 hours sleep to feel well (I am in my mid 20s). Most days I am only out of bed around 2-3pm.

However, these days I find it difficult to get out of bed most days. I also find it difficult to eat more than once or twice a day which no doubt contributes to my low energy. However, forcing myself to eat more makes me feel even more slugish and low on energy.

Other issues I have which I wonder if they are linked are that I have only just started to get to a healthy weight, even though I still am skinny (I was underweight most my life). I also rarely sweat at all, for some reason- no matter how hard I exercise or exert myself.

I've suffered with depression for a good few years, and this used to leave me bedbound- I wonder if this is linked. However, as aforementioned I have physiological issues such as struggling to put on weight and barely sweating, which leads to overheating most days.

I am not sure where to put this issue so ticked 'Adrenal disorders' because I am not fully sure if it's linked to my depression (I suffer with low energy most days even when my depression is at a low ebb or neglible).

Hope you can help, thankyou.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It might be that you have a thyroid issue, hyperthyroid comes to mind.  I've had that condition myself. 

?However, thyroid and adrenal glands should be in balance and working together somehow.  Learned that as well.  I have both a thyroid condition and an adrenal disaorder. 

?Not having energy and needing lots of sleep, not putting on weight could point in both directions: thyroid/adrenals. 

?A doctor's visit might be helpful. 

• Posted

That's exactly what a friend studying biology suggested. I'll definitely bring this up with the doctor, thankyou.

• Posted

Hi James, just wanted to see how you are doing and if you figured out what was causing your fatigue. I have the same issues as you. It started 7 months ago, always exhausted with not doing much. It's always worse in the mornings.

I'm waiting to go see an endocrinology to figure all this out.

You might also want to check for any vitamin deficiency. I was low on vitamin d. I started supplementing with magnesium to help with the fatigue and low mood. Seems to help a little bit.

Hope you get well soon.

• Posted

Taro, that sounds familiar.  No energy in the morning.  Adrenals had something to do with it. Am on hydrocortisol now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.