Found out I have herpes, but my boyfriend says he doesn't have it.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I found out I have HSV 1 last year. I told me boyfriend immediately after I found out. He was tested months before I was diagnosed and he's results were negative for HSV 1 and 2. After we had sex a few days later my vagina was swollen and I was in excruciating pain. 

I haven't had sex with anyone else since 2015, and I was tested after and so was he. 

Shouldn't he get retested? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

He knows the risks!

I say leave it until/if he gets an actual outbreak

• Posted

Yes he should, make sure it's and igg test and not igm (unreliable) also if either of you didn't specifically request an hsv test it's possible it wasn't taken. Hsv is not part of the std panel. So when they call you with an all clear it typically doesn't include hsv unless you stated you wanted that done in addition to. How were you diagnosed? By swab or blood test?

• Posted

Genital HSV1 is nearly always from oral sex, not intercourse, just fyi. One out of four cases of HSV1 are missed by the HerpeSelect test. That could be the case with your bf. Retesting may not change the outcome.
  • Posted

He will need to get a blood test to see if he has it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.