Advice please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. Well my basic bloods, iron etc all came back OK. ESR was normal and maybe CRP but RF not back yet. Got a call today from GP asking me to pick up prescription as have Vit D deficiency. So ... do i take the supplements and wait and see if my symptoms go (not sure how long this may take?) or do i go back to GP and ask for referral to rheumatologist to check on other symptoms whikst taking the supps. My Current symptoms are: painful joints in both hands well fingers and wrists been bad for 4 weeks+ and a few previous episodes over last year. What feels like the odd nodule on knuckle and base of thumb. Fatigue which really ive had on and off for two years but did have cancer and two ops (though clear now). Also for past month I keep feeling vety hot and headachey. Temp is fine but i feel really hot on and off its horrid...could this be a RA thing or not? though i suppose this could be my age as 53.but seems related to my joints thing??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would take the D3 now. It will help tremendous with the fatigue.
    • Posted

Hope so. Does it take a long time to pick up?
    • Posted

I noticed a huge improvement in about 24 hours. I was just on the low end of the spectrum
  • Posted

Hi

Did the GP do your anti CCP? My results were all normal except this which was high, that along with a painful foot and slight pain in fingers resulted in rheum referral and diagnosis.......start on methotrexate injections tomorrow! Bit of a whirlwind and a shock but now have to get on with it.

The rheum did vit D test which was in its boots so also on supplements.

I'm 49 sad

• Posted

There are a lot of things it could be besides RA - autoimmune disease is like that. But vit D deficiency can be the cause or the effect of such symptoms, which are typical of autoimmue disorders by the way. Take the vit D - it won't do any harm and may make you feel better in yourself - and in the meantime, ask your doctor to start the referral process to rheumatology. That can always be cancelled if it all goes away!

• Posted

Interesting trend here. My vit D was very low and the consultant gave me a 6 month slow release injection in my leg. Now I just take daily supplements from Boots. My thoughts are that my RA is always worse when I'm ill. Since taking the vit D I've had very little illness so my RA is better. Not a cure but it helps. 

• Posted

Low vit D is very often found in people with autoimmune disorders of all sorts - but they don't know whether it is cause or effect. Since a study in Finland showed that giving children vit D from birth reduced the incidence of them developing Type 1 diabetes (very common in Finland and autoimmune) in their teens it is very possibly associated with why the immune system goes haywire and turns on the body. And there is the new study suggesting that when our vit D is low we are more likely to get colds and other infections - because our immune system isn't working the way it should. All building blocks in the story...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.