Restless Leg ?- severe pain in leg when waking

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I get the occassional 'jerk', 'twist' and other movements in the legs at night, albeit quite rare,I think. 

So last night at some point, I recall waking up and thinking about my legs and was possibly in pain, but was half asleep and dont really remember very well. But when I awoke in the morning, my lower leftleg (calves, tendon, shins, and underneath foot), was in agony. The pain has got progressively worse during the day,with pain running up the back of my leg, via the back of the knee up the back upper leg.

In the experience of anyone with RLS, does this happen? How could I have set offthis excruciating pain at night? (the leg was fine when I went to bed).

Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I dont think this is RLS.   RLS is a well defined set of symptoms.   It souds very bad to be getting worse during the day.   I presume its all OK now.   If it was me I would see if it happens again and then go to a doctor preferably while its still hurting.

I hope someone has a better idea.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Gordon, my experience of RLS is that it's relentless.Last night for example I paced the floor for around 2 hours before bed as my legs and arms were jerking badly. When it was bedtime I slept on the living room floor as it was so bad. There are varying degrees of RLS, I'm on medication and I suffer quite badly but I never have that kind of pain the next day and I agree that you should get this checked out. Sorry that the post was so much about me but I wanted to illustrate that even a bad RLS episode does not leave me with what you have described so well. Please have it checked out and let us know how things are for you.

Lynne

• Posted

HI Gordon

I also get the odd twitch and take 1mg of ropinirol to control them. 

Your symptoms sound similar to the to the really severe cramps I get waking up the morning. I have quinine that I can take at bedtime if I think I am going to get a cramp attack the following day!  I also drink tonic water for its quinine content and have avoided the cramps for the last few months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.