What should I expect from my upcoming Pulmonary Function Test?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a Pulmonary Function Test coming up,and I was just wanting to know,what can I expect during the PFT?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The test done at pulmary rehab I attenended involved filling in a questionnaire about my life style and health and capabilities,and what I hope to achieve from PR ,ALSO  I did a walk between to cones  and there is a beep involved i.e.; to get to point a before the beep etc etc ,( some groups this test is done on a treadmill it depends where you live ) ,   The benefits from attending  PR are so beneficial , the classes are usually for 8 weeks ,at first you will think how is this going to help me ,,, but trust me you won't regret taking up this opportunity,,,,I did my first PR test back in 2008 and it's been the best thing I could possibly have done to help me health wise ,good luck ,

• Posted

Could you please tell us how the lessons helped you?   Can you say in a nutshell what you were taught?

Thanks!

• Posted

We are given exercises that would benefit us ,such as sit to stand ,rowing machine ,steps ,and walking,and bike ,we were also taught about our condition and how to recognize symptoms and changes ,and how to benefit from our medication ,and also advise on benefits that may be available to us ,personally ,  we live along a towpath ,Our house is over a canal bridge ,and I couldn't walk over this bridge without hubby pulling me along ,,,,now I can ,I still struggle going up stairs but I do it,but most of all years ago before I did PR i was not allowed to fly without oxygen on the flight ,,,,but after I did the pr AND I  continued with the exercises  for a further 3 months I passed the flight test ,,,and could fly ,, ,,sadly after I had septasyma a few years ago I no longer fly ,,,,but I continue exercising ,today I did 2 Kim on the treadmill in 29 minutes,,,, on a normal day at the gym I manage 2 Kim on treadmill ,3 Kim on the bike ,5 Kim on the hand bike ,and sometimes 1000 meters on the rower ,,,,,yes I still get chest infections ,but now I know whaypt to look out for and I was told to always send in a sputum sample to the gp before starting antibiotics,,,,then in a couple of days I get the results stating infection or not and which antibiotics will kill the bug ,,  all in all I firmly believe that without doing that first PR test I wouldn't be doing things i can do now ,,,I'm aged 71 now ,and before doing pr my hubby did mist of the chores around the house/garden as I used to get sooooo short of breath ,,,,now I manage a lot of the house chores myself ,hope this helps ,,,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.