Prinzmetal & ranolazine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m diagnosed with Prinzmetal angina. During last months the angina prevalence is on effort.  A mild effort triggers it out but I have angina also at rest during the day.

A recent angiography showed normal arteries and stent in good condition.

The cardiologist has prescribed me ranolazine (ranexa).

Does anybody have experience with this drug?

Could you give some advice about it?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I take it and it is a miracle med for me I am on 500mg twice a day give it time to work it reduces spasms I hope it works for you. Can I ask if you also take a bb
    • Posted

I was diagnosed for angina in a stress test, running on a treadmill. Doctor supposed it was a usual angina so I was prescribed with bb, aspirin and nitro patches while waiting angiogram.

Well, I didn't arrive to the scheduled angiography. In the fourth day I got an unstoppable angina attack, the worst I had ever had and I entered the ICU. At the angiography they detected a non-significant plaque 45% that suggested prinzmetal's.

Hi Linda, thank you for your fast answer. I will follow your advice and try Ranexa.

They started threaten it correctly with CCA but since angina didn’t disappeared they installed also a stent on the stenosis area. Now I can say that it doesn’t worth. I would not recommend installing it. It’s just another risk factor and another problem you add to your coronaries.

?I am with CCA since. I started with diltiazem but it produced on me dizziness and irregular heartbeats. Finally I'm taking nifedipine that is the first line treatment for me.

Definitely, the variant angina patients we have to absolutely avoid betablockers.

• Posted

BB is a big no no and proven to make Prinzmetal worse - I'd stay away if you can

• Posted

I would like to know.. rannolazine is the only treatment for you or are you also taking calcium antagonists?
  • Posted

I have taken it for many years it is good I take 1000 Am 1000 p.m. . It will probably help you. My angina has actually gotten better in the past couple of years. Resting relaxing just watching TV and going to the store and doing a few chores around the house is what I do. I don't believe stressful exercise or walking is good for a person with this disease. I don't believe that extra stress on the heart will help you or your heart. I don't smoke or drink and I eat light meals even though I am 20 pounds overweight at my age 69 I don't think I can be skinny. I have other problems like for herniated discs in my neck and back and severe arthritis that I take Norco for I have severe anxiety and take Klonopin. I don't know about young people but older people just need to take life easy not get angry and believing God it has helped me a million times over. So much for this time love to , Diana

• Posted

Thank you, Diana. I appreciate your kindness and advices.

It’s all that I needed; just a few words of confidence about a drug that I will start on. I had my first dose of ranexa today. 500mg/day first week and if all is ok, 2 dose am/pm.

They prescribed it to me since the first line treatment, Calcium Channel Blockers + nitro patches, doesn’t keep angina at bay. I will report my experience.

Regarding to exercise or not I have not a clear reference. Physicians tells me to exercise at moderate levels regularly but I found it a as an advice not focused on the disease itself but to maintain the cardiac muscle in good shape.

This is a big dilemma because, in my case, sporting is a clear angina trigger but at the same time It comforts me when I’m able to finish soft efforts without angina events.

This is a good tip to start a discussion: exercise yes/no for Prinzmetal’s… 

• Posted

?🐸?💚💜 you are very sweet. I have found a lot of very nice people on these forms. I think this disease makes us more patient and more thankful to be alive. Getting angry is a part of the first part of this disease hearing that is not going to go away is very depressing. But we do learn to live with it and appreciate hearing about other people with the same disease and how they deal with it. Have a wonderful day and a happy long life. Diana🌹

• Posted

In order to give a feed back after my experience on ranolazine (Ranexa). I've taken it for one month.

It didn't produce  any side effects on me. This is a good point because the other drugs we take for angina have it.

Regardig the effect it has to control angina attacks i can't say anything conclusive. I've had 20 days quite good but last week i feel angina during the first 20-30 minutes doing soft effort.

It's woth a try.

Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice about this medicine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.