codeine versus co-codamol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was taking 1 30mg codeine phosphate at bedtime for back pain, doc said too addictive so has prescribed co-codamol 30mg/500mg instead, I'm to take 2 of these each night. Surely this must be worse as I'm now taking 60mg of codeine phosphate. Is it me? Doesn't seem to make sense.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

• Posted

I do not understand thelogic behind this. Obviousy codeine is codeine.
  • Posted

He has addded in another potentially dangerous drug.
    • Posted

I know Jane, can't work it out! Think I should get a second opinion. Will get the opportunity when I return to the practice when results of my back xrays come in.

Thanks for your comment

• Posted

I would stick to a simple painkiller such as paracetamol and see how it goes. Leave off the codeine it is a terrible drug. If you google the side effects of codeine which is an opiate and worse than heroin you will see just how dangerous it is. BTW how long have you been taking codeine for?
    • Posted

I had a bunion and mortens nuroma op just before Christmas and was given 30 mg dose to take for the post op pain. I stopped this after about 3 weeks when pain subsided but because my back pain seems to be getting worse I haven't slept much for the last month or so. I know the codeine was helping me sleep so started taking one again at bedtime which has helped me sleep much better. But when I mentioned this to the doc that's when he said stop taking them and gave me the co-codamol instead!!

• Posted

The codeine can lower your pain threshold. Have you tried physoio, heat treatment, tens machinefor your back pain? What does the dr say is causing back pain?
    • Posted

Tried all those Jane, they think it's because I've been walking so badly for last few years because my foot was so painful that it's thrown my back out. X rays done to get a clearer picture. We shall see. Xx

• Posted

An MRI scan gives more information. A physio can assess your back and refer on, private physio.
    • Posted

Defo get 2nd opinion!!! It's same thing!!! And you are right he's doubled dose and gave paracetamol?!?! I would agree will other comment also if you are only taking this low dose please try to consider not taking codeine at all?! I was put on it years ago and can not get off it because of withdrawals! 😖 Please don't go down that road if it can be helped ......... if you feel you need to defo take it then go back to just the one 30mg without paracetamol in if possible! And never increase the dose it's a horrible thing but from what I can see any strong pain killer is addictive?? So you're stuck if you are in a lot of pain 😔 Xx

• Posted

Ho Dash What happens when you try to withdraw from this poison?
    • Posted

Hi Jane it's very hard cold sweats I find the worst and that's why I always give in in the end! But also the restless legs the diarrhoea and the emotional side aswel. Have you ever been on codeine? If so how did you cope? I keep thinking of trying again and I need to do this I really do but I can't get any time off work and I'm scared of how I will cope! Xx

• Posted

I was told it ws causing my daily severe headaches and throbbing pain in my eyes. I stopped taking it immediatekly went CT. 10 days later my headaches disappeared.

I was sweating at night .

​I would keep about three clean  nighties at the side of the bed plus a towel so just wiped myself dry, changed nightie to make life easier.

The rest was difficult but I would ring up people I knew for support.

I was advised to take magnesiumorally, bathe in it and also to drink plenty of fluids to flush this poison out of my body. Ialso ate  healthily and took paracetamol for painful muscles. Never again will I take another codeine as long as I live. Many people fail to be weaned off due to the withdrawal symptoms however what is the alternative?

I decided that this drug , prescribed for shoulder injury was sheer poison and that in order to retrieve my sanity I must \must stop taking it. It was prescribed too.

• Posted

Wow!!! Well done 👏😊 I also think for me it's a lot the mental side of things I'm going through a rough time at the moment so tell myself I can't do it! ........but realistically how can it possibly help still taking them?! It is evil a horrible drug! Thankyou for your support and advice and taking the time to message me xx I will do this I have too!! Xx

• Posted

Hi Dash I was also told that the drug was making me dependant unknowlingly, physically and emotionally I was further told that the withdrawal signs and symptoms were tricks being played by my mind/body inorder to force me to refuel with more codeine. All thesee mantras kept me going and determined not to give in.

It is hard but avheiveable. Benzos are worse so I am told.  xxx

• Posted

Immodium for diarrhoea. Keep distracted. Hot baths in epsom salts, spray magnesium oil onto achy muscles, take magnesium orally to relax our muscles. Refuse to give in. Takke control of this drug instead of it controlling you /me.

Even a tiny dose will cause severe problems .

• Posted

Hi Dash, thanks for your comments, good to know it's not me and I am right to be concerned. think I will drop to 1 co-codamol tonight, if I still sleep ok I will try a couple of paracetamol tomorrow night instead. I'm back at docs on Friday so will discuss, strongly! Sorry to hear you've got problems too, hope you get better soon. X

• Posted

Thank you!! I have a lot of thinking and preparing to do!! I will let you know the day I start!! Going see doc on Monday for review so maybe get prepared for then and tell him I do not want any more!!!! 🙈😱 xx

• Posted

Joey try hpottmilk with the paracetamol. Please do not take th co codamol. Have you got any paracetamol at home? Please don't get confused thinking co codamol is okay . It is worse when combined with codeine. Why I do not know.

• Posted

Just stop it . You don't need permission to stop it .

• Posted

I know Jane you are right! I've been stuck in this rut for too long!! I need some of your willpower and strength x

• Posted

Well at the end of the day it is your decision just as it was mine. If I can do it anyone can. It needs serious thought and committment.
    • Posted

You can and will do it I'm sure Dash, a year ago I had a total knee replacement and was given morphine for weeksfor the pain but when I told the doc how Ill they were beginning to make me feel he put me on Naproxin instead. After weeks of these I again felt so bad (even though they were killing the pain) that I spoke to doc again and he said ' ok, best you stop taking them which I did. 24 hours later I started terrible diareah, shivering, sweats and awful aching and flu like symptoms. I called the doc who said 'oh, perhaps I was a bit hasty in telling you to just stop, you've gone cold turkey and are going through withdrawal but you've only got 2-3 more days of it so you'll feel better soon' !!!! It then dawned on me how bad Opiate drugs are and persevered and got through it. You can too, really. Stupidly, here I am taking codeine not realising how similar these pills are to the other junk I used to take!

Good luck, joey x

• Posted

Joey

Do not even try to work it out. Your dr has  been illogical, not you.

​The dr may have been unaware of what he/she was saying at that time.

​You may need a second opinion re your back.

• Posted

Thank you joey ..... I am in a bad place at moment and I'm sure these just make everything worse!!! It's just another thing to worry about 😫 I am going to give it some serious thought!!! It's a vicious circle x

• Posted

I'll let you know Jane what the xrays come back with. Xx

• Posted

I was not told of the dangers of codeine which of course is an opiate.

Drsbare too quick to prescribe but slow to help afterwards. I have never felt so ill in mylife and the memory of taking the rotten drug plus withdrawal is very scary. The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that at least my horrific experience can hopefully helpothers innthe same predicament. There has to be a reason for all this. I did not seek this poison out neiter did I crave it. Neither did it make me feel high or whatever it does to those who deliberately seek it out, no offence to those who do.

I understand it is harder to comee off than heroin. Having said that that presents a challenge to me to not only get off it, which I have done but also to never ever take it or allow anyone to prescibe it for me as long as I live.

• Posted

I was not told of the dangers of codeine which of course is an opiate.

Drs are too quick to prescribe but slow to help afterwards. I have never felt so ill in mylife and the memory of taking the rotten drug plus withdrawal is very scary. The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that at least my horrific experience can hopefully help others in the same predicament. There has to be a reason for all this. I did not seek this poison out neither did I crave it. Neither did it make me feel high or whatever it does to those who deliberately seek it out, no offence to those who do.

I understand it is harder to come off than heroin.

Having said that that presents a challenge to me to not only get off it, which I have done but also to never ever take it or allow anyone to prescibe it for me as long as I live.

Even a small dose is detrimental so I would advise those who have suffered at the hands of this drug to never take it again. It is imortant to check other drugs in case they have codeine in them. Neurophen plus does I believe.

• Posted

I know this is an old post but I have just seen your reply when reading it. I see that you say your doctor prescribed Naproxen, and you had side effects when you stopped it? Naproxen is not an opioid. Personally, I have taken Naproxen at various times and it has absolutely no effect whatsoever. I wouldn't know I had taken it, and I find Ibuprofen more effective in that it has at least a slight analgesic effect which, for me, Naproxen does not. Everybody is different, I guess?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.