How long for Venlafaxine increase to take effect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am currently on 150mg XL Ven (one a day) and have been on this dose for exactly two weeks.

Previously, I was on 75mg XL (one a day) for two months but after 8 weeks, I started to slip backwards a bit, so my GP recommended I increase.  

I have been feeling great but yesterday morning and this morning, I have felt tearful, flat and a bit anxious. It did lift yesterday and by lunchtime/early afternoon, I noticed I did feel better.

My period is due anytime (I'm in perimenopause) and I do feel a bit hormonal, so I don't know if this is related to it. Also, my Husband is working away tomorrow night and I get a bit anxious about that - which I know is stupid!

if I remember correctly, my GP said it can take 2-3 weeks for a dose increase to kick in properly/for your body to adjust. I am seeing her for my next catch-up next Wed.

Any advice or experiences welcome! X (Hi Purpledobermann - if you are there, some words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Bookworm 13! smile It is most probably a blip smile caused by a mix of hormones and your anticipation for the coming night. You may also get some when you get ill, don't sleep well or don't eat well.

The great thing is that such blips will last shorter and be less intense as time progresses. Over the next month or two they should lose momentum so you will feel like your body is trying to break-down but will only get so far (which can also be annoying in its own right).

If something is wrong with your dosage you will know by blips becoming more protracted and closer together progressively and definitively. If in doubt - shout out!

After a blip you may feel a bit tired and flat for a day or two. If however you notice that you keep slipping into lows for a week or more with barely a good moment - then it means the medicine is not working. Somehow I do not think you will have to worry about that. You responded so well so far.

Hang in there.

• Posted

And then...when you even out - you can tackle all the insecurities that added up over the years to make you so anxious now. That is hard work but it is what makes all this make sense in the long run. xxx
    • Posted

Thank you Purpledobermann - I am starting to feel a bit better now, which was about the same time as yesterday! X

• Posted

I seem to remember that when you were not well you'd wait until late afternoon and then opt to take your sedative if not feeling better? So in that sense yesterday and today sound like an improvement. Change comes in tiny increments. xx

• Posted

That's right - I'd always give it till 3pmish and if I still felt anxious, I'd take one Diazepam. Thanks! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.