Dermoid cyst removal, what can I expect?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

I am a 20 year old female, currently living in Spain for the year. Over a year ago I was diagnosed with a dermoid ovarian cyst which was found by chance when I was having my yearly MRI scan due to a surgery I had previously to remove a cancerous tumour. I was told by the NHS in the UK that they would operate on me before I left for Spain, however they just put it off and said I wasn't important enough.

Coming to Spain, I was in A&E twice and they sent me to a consultant who has just informed me that I will need my ovary removed as well as there isn't enough tissue to be saved.

I am more worried about the procedure, as everything is in Spanish (I am a native speaker but I'm used to the terminology in English) and also if there is anything I can do with the NHS as they have previously told me that I would only need a keyhole surgery and that I would fine.

Many thanks,

Hannah

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I would take someone with you if poss to translate anything you don't understand. I'm sure the surgeon will do whatever is best for you so don't worry too much. I had double salpingo oophrectomy last year with laparoscopic, (keyhole) surgery so it can be done that way even if you need the ovary removed. You will still be fertile with one ovary, it takes over from the other one. Best wishes. x rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you! They did say to me that they would try to salvage my ovary but I'm just waiting to be called back in to sign papers, hopefully to ask them all these questions!

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.