Omeprazole quitting!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! I was put on Omeprazole 20mg/once daily for GERD issues. I started taking it and then 10 days in realised the dangers of it! I have taken Omeprazole just for about 10-11 days and have stopped it since last 3 days. This is the 4th day and my condition is worse than before. I read about acid rebound. How long would  this last provided I took it just for 10-11 days?

Please help! I cant seem to have energy at all and I am a college student and cant afford to miss classes. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's possible that your gerd isn't worse, it's just that relief was so great that you kind of forgot what it felt like, but anyway, you try some of the others that are in different categories.  I'm taking Zantac to kind of help me get through my break through gerd that I have while tapering.  It's a lot less expensive and isn't supposed to have the same side effects.  If you are wanting something natural, I can't help you in that area because I really don't do any of the natural remedies.  I've never found any to work for me.

• Posted

Hi there

I took Omeprazole 20mg from April last year and after consulting my GP about my worries regarding the treatment, I quit cold turkey about 5 weeks ago. I have had maybe a couple of bad days but having identified what my trigger is (caffeine on an empty stomach) I avoid that and things are ok. I actually feel better without it.

For me what has worked is digestive bitters prior to my mail meals and if necessary, some Gaviscon at night. Although this is more of a precaution, as I feel my symptoms were not enough acid as opposed to too much.

I'm not sure that so much of a rebound would be present in only 10 or 11 days of taking Omeprazole but I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to advise soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.