Ovarian cyst measuring 2.5 cm, 7 weeks pregnant

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I had to have an early pregnancy scan last week and they found a small ovarian cyst ( complex ) on left ovary. They said not to worry. Took some bloods, not sure what they are testing for, back tomorrow for a repeat scan. Baby is fine and all in right place. However i am worried as dont want it to grow and impact pregnancy or my health. Plus don't know if i can get this removed in pregnancy?

Been suffering minor dull aching lower left side & lower pelvis everyday. Thanks x

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Just keep your clinic appointments and tell them of any changes you feel. They will do whatever is best for you and baby. Take care. x smile

• Posted

Small sounds good.

It could well be, that this is the luteal cyst after the ovulation of your released egg, that got successfully fertilised and nidated.

If there was a bit of bleeding into cyst after ovulation, often those blood clot structures (fibrin clot) look like 'white' structures, hence called 'complex' cyst (not only black -  liquid filled).

During pregnancies  hormones make sure your embryo (then fetus after 10 weeks post conception = 12 weeks from menstruation) can stay, it's foreign tissue and must not be rejected, right.

This progesteron is released by the corpus luteum until the placenta takes over this function which is around 12 weeks gestation.

the hcg hormone makes the luteal cyst to stay and produce that vital progesteron. (Without it, pretty not possible to stay pregnant.)

Hence to find a cyst during early pregnancy is more than normal.

This just said as a preface.

All you can do at this stage is, to have your cyst monitored,

with every ultrasound, getting a pic of this cyst too, if it grew or stayed the same.

Usually they get smaller, sometimes they stay their size.

It is possible, that it is simply the very normal luteal cyst during pregnancy and not 'complex' with any other meaning of growth (like dermoid).

It might also be really an e.g. accidentally found dermoid cyst (due to ultrasound being pregnant that otherwise would not have been performed) but then again, only monitoring will help to decide on what to do.

Good luck! It doesn't sound worrying so far at all.

At the moment you need a luteal cyst for your baby actually.

Don't touch it if it could be by any chance THE luteal cyst until 12 weeks (14 weeks post menstruationem counting).

But monitoring does clarify all possible circumstances.

You can get operated on during pregnancy too, so if it was a cyst, that grew badly into a football size AND caused trouble, it can be removed during pregnancy.

Otherwise just wait, if possible.

The anaesthesia does not reach the embryo or fetus through placenta as thought in former times. (exactly the problem with intra-uterine operations in later stages of pregnancies on feti, since no one thinks of giving the poor pain feeling unable to scream -water in lungs- unborn anaesthesia when cutting their spine or heart, which is possible to administer into umbilical cord, but that is a different topic. I am absolutely pro pain free procedures, not against procedures)

The problem is more to supply oxygen well during anaesthesia, but I am sure that is very well cared for.

All will be good!

• Posted

Thank you so much ladies. Excellent advice and I really appreciate it xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.