Feeling Hopeless

Posted , 5 users are following.

For years I have issues with all of the typical symptoms of hypothyroidism but my test results are ok.  My husband says I am a "10am-2pm" kind of person.  This meaning that if it were up to me these would be hours awake but not energized.  My hair has started to fall out really bad. My feet are dry, rough as sand paper and always cold. I am always snapping at my family.  My body temp is always low (when I had the flu they really did not thing I was sick since my fever was only 99 but the flu test came back positve). My blood pressue has always been low, except for recently it is on the higher side. I currently have a Vitamin D deficiency and have also delt with a Vitamin B12 deficiency.   I have put on 40 lbs in 10 months with no change in diet. My joints are always hurting.  I get headaches everyday and have been for years.  I used to love to workout and I miss it so much but I just don't have the energy to workout.  When I do workout, it takes me days to recover.  My most recent tests showed:

Free T4-1.20

TSH 3.290

Can anybody with the same symptoms offer any advice. I feel like my endo is not listening to me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My mom was diagnosed years ago despite her hormone levels being normal (on the low side), she was feeling fatigued, dizzy etc. Her GP was not helpful at all, saying that she is basically crazy and that it is definitely not hypoT. Luckily she found an endo that was on the ball and prescribed the correct meds right away. It took about 2 weeks to dial in the dose but she's been fine ever since. Now, I am seeing an endo next week cause I am having similar symptoms.

I cant say if your levels are high or low but i would say - go private and find a dr that cares. 

• Posted

We went private as though the GP practice knew he had pituitary problems, they were using TSH levels. They need to be ignored, and only T 4. Check your pituitary gland. Perhaps as a thought, get checked for Sjorgrens Syndrome as well. Very under diagnosed and prevalent in women. Venus Williams the tennis star has it, Her fatigue sometimes causes her to pull out of tournaments. The newspapers merely refer to her autoimmune problem without giving its name. At present I am a SS sufferer with fatigue stopping me from going to the gym. The stress about my husband's current I'll health is likely part of my probation. Hope this helps.

• Posted

In my opinion you should look for a different endo. My GP kept telling me I was fine but I had similar symptoms to yours, so I went privately to my endocrinologist and he has helped me so much.

If their a good doctor, I'm sure they will not just keep telling you you are fine when you are clearly not.

On the exercise note I had to move to low impact work outs and just fast walking in order to lose weight. Anything more and it would take ages to recover. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Your T4 is very low.  I don't even see a free T3 result here so who knows if your liver is even converting what little T4 your body is dispensin. T3 is the usable form of the hormone.  The TSH test is useless once you are put on medication. Unmedicated as you are now, it is too high.  Most people who are hypothyroid are not comfortable until their TSH test is under 1.0. You can ask for help from people on FB Hypothyroid websites as many self medicate when unable to find a doctor to help the man. You are right. Your endo is not listening to you.   Good luck. Keep fighting for your health.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.