So this just happened...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I tried to go back to work today after being off for 3 months. My pulmonary Dr wrote me back with permanent restrictions, such as avoid sick contacts and extra break time to use nebulizer and Smart Vest. My employer sent me back home saying that corporate has to discuss my restrictions and wait for someone to call me. Should I be worried? Has anyone else had problems with their employer? I can't help but worry, I need my job to pay my mortgage and the health insurance.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dear Frog,  I think that doesn't sound too encouraging and I would call my employer and tell him you've figured a way around those restrictions and that you will do your nebulizer treatment on your lunch hour.  I hope u have a lunch hour.  If you only have half an hour then I'd nebulize half a vial and eat lunch in the other 15 minutes.  Can u wear the vest while you work and just turn it off when you finish the timing?

Not knowing what you do for your BX I would also right away get onto Vitamin C in large quantities and that will keep u clear of any bacteria floating around in the room at work.  Also take the advice somebody just put out on COD LIVER OIL (read about that, I just did) and increase your supplements.  I think they are one of the best ways to fight GETTING an infection.  They won't help much once you get one probably except the Vit. C which helps build the immune system and can actually fight an infection if you take enough of it.  Talk to the employer and see if he can not look at this as being a big negative on your record and try to keep the corporate people from worrying about it.

Tabatha

• Posted

Thank you Tabatha for the advice. I only get a half hour lunch, but those are good ideas. Most of my work is standing/walking, but there is a small amount of paperwork I could do while using the vest. I'm going to add the cod liver oil today.

Thanks again for the input, I truly appreciate it.

Laurie

• Posted

Dear Frogwartz again,

I have two things:   First I suggested the cod liver oil to you after reading it on one of  Mary Ann's responses.  It sounded good to me and I was going to take it but Mary Ann has just cautioned me in a private message and wanted me to pass this on to everyone because when she tried to write this herself her msg got moderated - so here is a caution for everyone from MARY ANN. 

"I take back my suggestion for cod liver oil because I read a negative article on a website that said the ratio of Vit A to Vit D was too high and that was not good for us. Consequently, cod liver oil is not being recommended any longer acc. to that website. There was an original article on another site that recommended cod liver oil to people with lung issues and damaged lungs and that is how I came to use it for over 2 years.  MARY ANN"

Apparently we should do our own good research on the subject.

And seondly, I wanted to say after reading Steve's suggestion here that it would appear he knows what he is talking about regarding reulations and so on and you might be in a larger company than I would have been.  I worked in very small offices with a few people and offered my advice from the point of view that I could talk to the boss about such things and that in turn he could also talk to those higher up (in the same bldg) but with no regulations.  I'm not in the UK.  In turn I have also been the boss in the same company and so anyone with a problem that involved their health could come to me and tell me but always it was a sort of friendly situation with no regulations and so on. So I'm sorry If I might have given a confusing answer if that is not your situation.

It's obvious that you have to do your own research regarding some of the answers you're given here too.  We are all different and have different experiences. I guess we just need more information at times.

Tabatha

• Posted

I think you should always care yourself very much. You must take completely rest in this situation and go for work after fully recover.
  • Posted

I don't know if you live in the states or the UK, but in the states, we have laws that protect the employee from discrimmination due to health reasons. They may not apply to your situation. I can see that your employer would have concerns that you wouldn't be able to do your work. 

I would call your Human Resource department and talk to them about your rights as an employee and if an agreement can be reached. Talk to them in a nice way and you are just asking out of couriousity.

Forturnately, I had a desk job and my employer was very understanding. I was so geared to meet my deadlines, that there were times when I should have been at home in bed, but went to work. I'm retired now and able to take better care of myself.

Good luck, Beth

• Posted

Frogwartz,

Yes, if you in US, they do have laws here. I worked with my treatments. I used my neb at work and my vest in am and pm prior to work and after.  My employer had to find a place to do my neb treatment during the working hour and not on my lunch break.  They had a sign that was posted outside my cubicle that said something like "germ free area" .  There is also laws on not being penalized for missing work, it's called "Family Leave Act". You may or may not be paid under this law, read into it. I was lucky and was always paid.  The form one fills out is usually good for a year.  Ask your HR department about it.  Take care.

• Posted

I dont have direct experience other than to say that the UK also has (or certainly had) strongly protective laws. When I was working as an employer I was advised by our HR that we had to be fully accomodating of employees with fully documented sickness problems, both at work and in terms of letting them take extended sick leave (even when we had strong doubts about the veracity of the claims).

My advice would be to start doing some research of your employment rights on the internet before entertaining any further discussions with your employer. Keep it nice of course but if there is further casual discussion of the subject try to get accross to them in a non-confrontational way that you are "doing a little bit of research yourself into how these types of issues are handled". Don't talk about the law or lawyers at this stage, but ultimately if they try to dismiss you without appropriate comepnsation it might come down to taking legal advice. There are many employees in the UK who are on permanent sick leave getting pretty much full pay (or there used to be when I was a boss!).

A littel bit of accomodation on your part in terms of the things discusse above will show that you are reasonable rather than a troublemaker but don't extend that so far that it becomes cap-doffing and injurious to your health.

Best of luck

• Posted

Just a rider. Your rights are likely to depend very much on the length of your employment and any contractual terms that apply to your position. In most civilsed countries employers can't can people who are long term employees under contracts that comply with relevant labour laws, without appropriate compensation. And so it should be to my (mostly conservative, but social-democrat leaning on safety net issues) mind.

• Posted

My restrictions were finally approved by corporate. I will return to work next Tuesday with accommodations. I will be allowed time to use my Smart Vest, and I will be able to wear a mask and gloves to hopefully avoid sick contacts. I'm glad they were able to accommodate me but at the same time I am scared because each time I go back I end up horribly sick.

• Posted

Frogwarz,

Great news that your company is willing to work with you.

don't get stressed out about getting sick (easier said than done), it will affect your health. Just keep eating healthy, take your meds, stay as germ free as possible (keep hand sanitizer handy and use often), and exercise when you can. Wearing a mask and gloves will help as well. 

I worked for a hospital, finance dept, we had a co-worker with health issues that did a lot of filing. She always used surgerical deposable gloves when filing. Also, the cleaning people wouldn't dust around the computers, so I would take a bacteria cleaner and wipe my computer and desk weekly.

Keep us posted on how you are doing, Beth

• Posted

Well, the first week back, working 10 hours a day, almost killed me. I had to sleep for the next three days just to recuperate. This is my second week and my throat is starting to hurt. I'm also beginning to cough more. It's more difficult to wear a mask for 10 hours than I thought it would be. My pulse ox starts dropping after a few hours. Hopefully it will get better.

• Posted

Frogwartz,

So sorry to hear that you are not doing so well. I wish I had an answer for you. 

Sounds like the job is not a good fit for you. Do you have any other options at the same company or another job opportunity?

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.