First symptoms you noticed before visiting a gp

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Just wondering what made you decide to visit your gp before diagnosis.

I am 42 and a heavy smoker. I have been suffering with air hunger for a few months now and have been putting it down to anxiety, I'm wondering if a visit to gp maybe in order as something more serious.

I've started to get a slight ache in my upper side. Everyday I'm yawning as I'm getting this air hunger and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I run everyday and have no problems with this, would welcome any advice please.

Thank you x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My own personal advice is stop smoking asap, go see your dr.  And how long per day do you run?
    • Posted

Hi & thank you for your reply. I run for an hour and a half some days and others 40 mins.

I will book a check up with doctor today.

• Posted

There's a long long thread on this site somewhere about 'air hunger' .. or hyperventilation, as I think it's called.

It's a funny thing .. I had it for years, and it's a real life-spoiler, isn't it?

You get it once .. and then it happens again, and eventually, it's practically taking over your life! It's a vicous circle of air hunger>anxiety>causing more air hunger>more anxiety. It's horrid.

With me, it was anxiety (it's not really a symptom of COPD in itself, I don't think .. whenever I mentioned it to any of the medico's they hadn't a clue what I was talking about) .. and learning to breath a certain way cleared it up. Yoga breathing exercises are good, and something called Buteyko Breathing is great!  There are plenty of videos on Youtube which show you how to do it.

Even so, a visit to the doctors won't hurt .. and it will at least put your mind at rest.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Josephine,

Thank you for your reply, and advice.

Yes it's a strange one and not very nice at all having n her suffered before I'm now panicking and not sure if it's something else therefore in this cycle. Do you still suffer with this?

I have started some yoga and find it great whilst doing it but as soon as I finish it starts up again.

• Posted

Hi Helen!  Welcome!!  I had never heard the term "air hunger" before but it does not sound very comfortable.  I agree with Pam and I would think your doctor would do a spirometry test on you.  I had a doctor about 12 years ago that I now feel had improperly diagnosed me.  I was told I had asthma and basically to "deal with it".  About 4 years ago (you asked why we first went to doctor with symptoms) I awoke and felt very listless, dizzy and just generally "out of sorts".  My husband had acquired an oxymeter that had been in his deceased mother's household items and he put the oxymeter on my finger....it read 72.  Your blood oxygen SHOULD be between 90 and 100.  Long story short, we called the doctor and they said to come in immediately.  They did an EKG (to make sure I wasn't having a heart attack).  Sent me immediately to  have a CT scan, which determined I had COPD.  I just regret that the doctor 10 years earlier had done an incorrect diagnosis so that I could have started properly treating my COPD.  By all means, follow up with your doctor.....and good luck!

• Posted

Hi sandy.

Thank you for your reply and advice. I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with copd.

My grandfather had this many years ago.

I'm going to call the doctor to make an appointment and go from there.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply

• Posted

HI Helen

For sure see your Doctor and ask if you can be referred to a respirologist. You will have the proper testing to get a firm diagnosis. Try very hard to quite smoking. That I itself will help. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Ellen

• Posted

Possibly if you are able to run for over an hour  or 40 mins each day you may not have copd.  But to be sure check with your GP any concerns you may have and communicate what you have said here.

I think my first symptoms were my legs couldn't hurry (walk briskly) but my symptoms would not necessarily be the same as the next person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.