Desperate pain

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have just over 4 weeks to go for my THR. I'm getting desperate. I'm in so much pain. Taking excessive pain killers with large glasses of wine to knock me out to try and get a few hours sleep. At this stage I just want to cry by 5pm every day. I'm sure it's deteriorating.

Has anyone experienced this desperation and how did you cope? Time off work is a nono. I'm moving house in 1 week to a gorgeous new house and I can't work up any enthusiasm....much to my other halfs annoyance. I feel like no one around me "gets it". Which of course they can't.

Wine pain killers and food.... to try and comatose myself until I have to repeat the cycle again the next day. Probably killing my liver in addition to piling the weight on despite my vow to lose a pile before surgery. The other side of the op seems sooooo far away. I just hope it's the saviour I need.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm so sorry about the pain you are in. I have problems going to sleep also but I find it a bit more comfortable to put a pillow between the knees as I lay on my non hurt side. It is a nice firm pillow and takes just a little bit to get totally comfortable but it does help. Hope that helps a bit.

• Posted

My surgery is at the end of April. 
  • Posted

Yep, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. How did I cope? Well the final few weeks I was on a dose of morphine patches normally reserved for terminal cases. And that is not one of my bad jokes - I was. I could have gone off sick, but didn't want to - my boss was great (and always has been) so I could work whatever hours and from whatever locations I could manage. He'd rather me work from home than not work! I couldn't wish the last few weeks away fast enough. Yep - also sometimes mixed the meds with whisky - not recommended, but I don't think either of us will lose a liver over a few rash weeks. And to make things worse - it was my birthday!

?What was my plus side - my funny dog! And suppressing the strong urge to murder anyone who asked "how are you today?".

• Posted

Double edged sword other people asking or not how I am today....if they do I snap at them if they don't I snap at them. I'm trying to avoid the morphine as my mind is already half useless and I fear it would get worse if I take morphine. I just don't understand why it seems to be deteriorating so quickly. How are you now? Was the op life changing for you?

• Posted

Please check with your insurance to see if you are eligible for any type of pain management program. Meditation and other type of stress reduction programs may provide better relief than the combination of the wine and pain killers. It has helped me. This is a very challenging time and best to find whatever alternativeshe that might cause fewer additional issues.

Keeping you in prayer,

Kristen

• Posted

I'm sure pain management works for some people. But meditation and stress reduction did nothing for a hip that was physically breaking up. 

• Posted

Everyone is different, but I had absolutely no problems with the morphine. I had osteonecrosis, and the hip bone was disintegrating inside me. They couldn't do the emergency surgery they wanted to, and I took the other painkillers for as long as I could, but in the end I had to give in. 

And yes, now I have a perfect hip. The pain was gone instantly, and the worst since then had been an odd ache or two if I overdo things. I'm nearly four months on from there.

• Posted

Oh crap. That sucks. I can relate. I had a walking stick. Pain meds. The lot.

Keep up yr pain meds. Maybe not the wine that's a depressant. Maybe beer?

You will be much happier after yr op. I'm 99% sure.

I had bone graft and the. Was scary but I'll never look back. After surgery do yr exercises religiously. They help dramatically.

Sounds like you have a busy time. Moving house is hard. All that bending and lifting does not help.

Good luck.

• Posted

I most definitely will not be doing ANYTHING during the house move that's one positive about all this pain my other half won't let me.

• Posted

Glad to hear that. Keep strong. You'll come out the other side. Promise. 👍😃

• Posted

I was put on NORSPAN patches, the last 6 weeks in the run up to my surgery. I was in so much pain I could not move,could  not sleep, that lack of movement I ended up developing a blood clot in my leg.

In the end went to the local heated pool to exercise supported by a noodle or water log, which gave me some relief.

Was still wearing my last patch as I went in surgery, they pulled it off as they were prepping me on the operating table.

Gave me some relief from the pain, I feel for you, can your local GP give you something stronger.

Please PLEASE PLEASE do not take more than the recommended dosage, you can kill your liver, and you won't survive that.

Best wishes, hope you Dr can help.

• Posted

I can an am relating!  But I do not know how any of you people are working!    I still don't have a surgery date, but in 1 week and 6  days I will go to a scheduling appointment!  Seems like this is an appointment to make an appointment!  Not a joke, I have never seen anything take so long!  Yes, my hip is getting worse daily, today I could hardly get to the bathroom with walker!  So much pain, can't do wine or beer, make my stomach hurt, then can't take pain pills!  This is a tough one, really is so much worse then the chemo and breast surgery was!    I am truly having hope for getting it over and not having pain, or this is what you other hippies are given me hope.  Will let you know when I get a date!

• Posted

I was there. I had my left hip replaced 2 weeks ago. I was counting down the days. I was soaking in warm, not hot, water with Epsom salts every night, and icing after that. Most nights I would go to sleep with an ice pack on my leg. That got me through the awful nights.
  • Posted

In my experience ffion your the kind who find 100% absolute relief the moment after surgery . They cut out that painful bit and that awful pain goes immediately so not long to go . I wasn't in desperate pain prior to the op and find I am taking to the pills and booze a bit to knock out the after effects of the surgery but I believe you will have immediate relief . Good luck !!

• Posted

Hi, yes for 2 months before the op it was extremely painful. Options are go to Dr and get stronger pain killers and/or get signed off work, get as much rest as you can or grin and bear it ! 😕 I kept going and was in agony daily for 2 months, in hind sight I wish I'd got the Doc to sign me off ! 🛌

• Posted

Hi yes you are right they are my options I am going to have to grin and bear it. Need my brain cells during the day so anything stronger meds wise during the day is out of the question. Being signed off isn't an option as we don't get sick pay. How are you after the op now?

• Posted

Can you get some stronger meds for the evening ? If you can get some sleep you aught to be able to cope a bit better. Yes, I'm getting better gradually thanks. Right unoperated leg took a clobbering and I had tendonitis in it for 3 months - had to climb stairs sideways ! 🤔. I'm seeing my own physio now every 3 weeks and getting massage and exercises to do. My aim is to be able to walk reasonably by June. 🌅

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.