Chest pain ( diagnosed with heart valve failure )

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi over a year ago now I was diagnosed with heart failure , am 32 year old female with two year old . I am under a cardiologist in broad green hospital liverpool , I go every 6 'months for scans as I have an ascending aorta of 3.8mm and calcification.

I get chest pain on and off An I put it down to heart muscle pain when I over do it , i had a bad chest lnfection last week and today all day I have had chest pain it feels like some one has kicked me in the chest An my chest hurts or it's bruised. I get this feeling quite a lot now An sharp shooting pains I don't tend to do anything about them as I put it down to my heart condition , does anybody else suffer with this ??

Any advice I would be very grateful

Thanks x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My husband has heart failure, any unusual pain, and I take him to the heart hospital for a check up.

Every time they have kept him that is 4 times now, over the last five years.

I am unwilling to second guess wether there is a problem or not, I let the Dr's decide if there is a problem.

The last time this last April, he came close to collapsing at home, with 30 BPM, I drove thim to heart hospital where they asked if he had any pain, YES, his bicep or upper left arm.

Young Dr then suggested to me rotator cuff injury, torn muscle, pinched nerve, all of which had been checked out over the previous 15months, thats how long he had this bicep pain for.

I argued with him, and told him in my opinion the pain was coming from his heart, he then questioned my medical training, NONE I told him, but I know what I am talking about, its coming from his heart.

Ever since my husband fell sick 6 years ago I have made a study of heart failure, and asked lots of questions, asked for explanations until I understand, also done alot of research from medical books, local Dr been most helpful, also Dr to Dr papers from various university sites on the internet.

At that point consultant overhead me getting heated and angry with young Dr, came in and listened to my argument, and agreed with me, growled at young Dr's and called a meeting in his office immediately with husbands file, consultant the proffesor of cardiology and has a fierce reputation, you do not cross him.

Would loved to have been a fly on the wall of that meeting he called.

A while later he came back, and apoligised for the young Dr's no training comment, he said you have learn't my girl,  I could do with you working here, and once again congratulations an bringing your husband in to hospital before he got past the point of no return, how many times is it now, 4 times I replied. he smiled and said I counldn't do better myself.

Result a pacemaker installed a few hours later. husband reported that the pain in bicep went away as soon as they switched on pacemaker and has never re-ocured.

DO NOT IGNORE CHEST PAIN when you are a heart patient, its not worth your life, let those with the training decide if its serious or not.

• Posted

Thanks lyn

I just feel i don't want to waste their time if it's not serious , I had chest pain all day An night on Tuesday it's eased now but I have started to mark it down as I get this pain a few times a month it scares me more than anything 🙁🙁

Did your husband have heart problem

From a young age ??

• Posted

No afraid not, his deveolped from a silent infection, they think maybe some scratches on his legs, that looked fine.

The infection went straight to his heart, and did alot of damage to his left venticle wall.

They found bacteria in his bladder that should not have been there, gave him huge amounts of anti-biotics through a drip.

I have also in the last five years had inflamed peri-carditis, huge amounts of pain in my chest, also from a virus they think.

Dr said to me they would have been delighted if it was indigestion but it wasn't, also explained to me if I had ignored it and hoped it would go away the fluid around my heart would continue to accumulate and evetually restrict my heart from beating correctly, and that could have been fatal.

Cure was really simple, anti-immflamitories over a few hours and it all settled down, then an ongoing pescription for more anti-immflatories for the rest of the week. 

I know what to look for now if it reoccurs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.