Desperate:(. IBS (d)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I'm new here but in desperate need of advice. I've suffered on and off with IBS since my late teens ( now mid 40's. I had several years without problems. I've always had a weak stomach so it doesn't take much to upset it. I started teaching 3 and a half years ago and since then my IBS is back with a vengence. I've tried everything possible...... peppermint capsules, tablets for anxiety, mebeverine tablets, taking away stress but nothing works. I love my job but the mornings are an utter nightmare at the moment. I am on the loo countless times before I leave for work at 7.30. Once I get through to the afternoon the symptoms ease and I'm fine at night I've begun to dread the morning and get anxious at the thought of them. I dread getting to work and having to rush to the loo. I don't have much pain just a desperate urge no matter how often I go to the toilet. I've begun to stop going places at weekends for fear of needing the toilet and even on holiday last year every time I ate out it was the same. It's really affecting my life and I need to gain back some control. Can anyone help?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sounds very similar to me a couple of years ago. Like you, I had got to the point that if I had to go anywhere, I wouldn't eat anything for several hours before leaving home or whilst I was out in case I needed the loo urgently. The Low Fodmap diet has transformed my life. It doesn't work for everyone but it's well worth trying. 

Jan

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply. So there is hope then! I have looked at the low FODMAP diet but find it rather confusing. Can you give me an idea of the sort of foods you would eat on a daily basis?

Many thanks

• Posted

The concept behind the diet is to identify any food triggers you have so you can eliminate them from your diet. When I started LowFodmap I cut out lactose, gluten and all of the foods that are high in Fodmaps. I discovered I'm  fine with lactose, can tolerate small amounts of gluten, but avoid most fruits apart from pineapple,and mushrooms, onion and garlic. I make most of my meals from scratch so I know what has gone into them - many processed/ pre packaged foods contain mushrooms, onions and garlic, even though you wouldn't expect them to. Breakfast is usually GF cornflakes, lunch might be a sandwich with GF bread and a filling such as hard cheese, tuna or chicken.Main meals are pretty much everything I used to eat, substituting onions with chives, or the green part of leeks or spring onions, and root vegetables ( green beans, potatoes, carrots, swede etc) or a very small amount of cauliflour or broccoli. For example, tonight we're having salmon steaks, new potatoes, green beans, and carrots with a GF watercress sauce. I don't have a sweet tooth so rarely have puddings but I know there are some good GF steamed puddings from major high street supermarkets. What suits me might not suit you, either from personal preference or triggers, which is why I think it best to start off avoiding as many high Fodmap foods as possible, then gradually reintroduce them to see if they are indeed a trigger for you. Once you get the hang of the diet it's really easy to devise your own nutritous, well balanced eating plan. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information, that's really helpful x

• Posted

Just thinking out of the box here, but there are many medical causes of this urgency to go to the loo. Have you had blood tests to check your thyroid function? An overactive thyroid causes this symptom.
    • Posted

Def not thyroid as that been checked! But thank you. Have had some things eliminated through blood results.
  • Posted

Try the low fodmap diet. Get advice from a Dr or dietician tho as there's lots of rubbish out there on the net about it. If you don't mind paying there's a fodmap app done by the ppl who made the diet (minas universiry) it's about £6 I think.

Also try taking an immodium with dinner, it will help stop the rush in the morning.

• Posted

Hey, Awww you sound exactly like me, mornings are always my worse, I constantly feel the urge to go to the loo no matter how many times I go! It's affecting my life too and so I am reading up on the low Fodmap diet and hoping it will work, I've bought a book from Amazon which gives some recipe ideas too, it's looking like lots of rice veg and chicken for me😉 I have cut out dairy from my diet, only a week ago, hoping to do gluten once I get organised!

Keep me updated, we could help each other out here!

Jo.x

• Posted

I've done the same! Cut out dairy this week and will try to swap to gluten free to see if it helps x

• Posted

Stress will be making your symptoms worse. You could try bananas which help to firm up your stools or immodium tablets.  Ask your doctor about codeine which also helps with diarrhoea.  Keep a food diary to see if there are any food triggers.  Mebeverine is known to be a stomach irritant.  It made my IBS a lot worse.  It is supposed to bung you up but it also causes bad side effects.
    • Posted

Imodium def helps but not sure if it's ok to take on a daily basis??

• Posted

My GP told me it's fine to take Immodium on a daily basis, just make sure you don't take so much you become constipated. I rarely have to take it for more than 2 or 3 consecutive days for things to settle down. 

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.