FAI Surgery - numbness pins & needles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi has anyone had anything similar after surgery - my right leg from just above ankle to just below knee is numb and sharp pains like pins and needles

Kind of like when had a filling at the dentist & your mouth is all funny after the injections?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

May take 3-6 months to feel normal. You doing your therapy? You can always check with the surgeon
    • Posted

Hi Steve

Thank u - I've only been home 3 nights so not started any yet - I've got a sheet for home physio but I don't think I start properly until next week - don't see my surgeon for 6 weeks but if it gets worse I could call x

• Posted

Yes. I had that pain. Two weeks and a day it literally vanished. I now get an occasional muscle ache pain. But the nerve pain is all gone. I think things just need to get settled in there before they calm down smile

• Posted

Sorry meant to say *two weeks and a day after surgery *
    • Posted

Ah ok thanks Gina - it's soooo strange especially as I was expecting the pain to be in my hip - guess I've got that to come smile hope you are on the mend now smile x

• Posted

Yes sorta of normal and a pain in the caboose! It annoying. Keep bed exercises and also I use a leg pump boot to help with massaging the leg helps with those pins and needles. It's generally the swelling in the leg . It will,help to walk as much as tolerated.

im 6 weeks out and has mostly gone if it returns I,do the above and hope this helps.

its very tough with all the THR issues we have after surgery. I have the most confidence in your ability to keep pushing through. It will get better with time.

Hugs, Hopexxx

• Posted

Thank you - just need to stay positive & get through it - and hope it works smile Much appreciated - hope you are doing well x

• Posted

Hiya. I am 16 days post op on my left hip and my right thigh has been numb since op. Like after dentist. Surgeon v experienced and hadn't seen it before. Thinks it's a pinched nerve from the foam wedges they used to prop me on my side during the op. Lots of massage and will resolve he said. Prob weeks maybe months. Sometimes prickles of nerves waking up on edges. Good luck. You are not alone! Hugs

• Posted

Oh goodness hope it goes soon for you xx sending hugs
    • Posted

I've got the same thing and was told it's a bruised nerve from the wedges used to operate. My IS said it happens rarely and feeling will come back but could be several weeks before it does. A really strange feeling but no pain just numb.

Sam

• Posted

It will take 3 months or more to feel normal. Take care do your excersice hug Madla 💗

• Posted

I've only got out of hospital this week so I doing a few bits at home - I start physio next week rolleyes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.