best exercises for menniers

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am trying bunch different exercises some seem to help some add to much stress it seems. What is working for others?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When I was younger I used to run daily and I think that really helped. Now I walk and ride my stationary bike. I think exercise that increases blood flow and helps to lower your stress level helps.
  • Posted

Hi James

You probably could do with a physio to learn vestibular rehabilitation exercises, but a lot of people seem to find yoga and tai chi helpful.  Also, although not exercises as such, meditation and breath work can help with stress.

Stress seems to be a trigger for many people with MD, so that might be helpful to you.

• Posted

Hello James,  I had a series of exercises that were shown to me by a certified vestibular physiotherapist, around 3 years ago.  I did them faithfully and they did improve my balance.  That was before I was diagnosed with Ménière's last September, although I probably had Menieres at that time.  I thought I would resume doing them twice a day a few months ago, as my balance is off.  After doing them one day, I had a vertigo attack, after turning my head a certain way.   So, I have stopped, as I was worried they could trigger another attack.  I should probably revisit the same physiotherapist and see if there are different exercises I should be doing.  There are several different kinds.   If you are able to receive proper teaching by a physiotherapist, that is preferable.  Very frustrating, for sure.  Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

I forgot to mention that the physiotherapist told me that I should walk every day, which I do, for about half an hour.  She said that the act of walking outside with scenery passing by is very good in strengthening the vestibular system, and reducing stress, as Patricia has mentioned.    Take care.
  • Posted

Hi James ,

I find that yoga helps me. When I'm having a weird foggy, unbalanced day, the breathing and postures somehow help my brain refocus. There's been plenty of times I've been to class thinking it was a bad idea as I didn't feel too great and I've come out feeling a lot better! I try and do it at home too but to be fair, I'm that stressed and shattered when I get home that I very often forget. It's hard to instill a discipline and stick to it.

Because yoga involves so much breathing and concentration, my brain refocuses doing slow and controlled movements. It's all good for stress relief too and I know that's my main problem!

Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.