Make genital herpes

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am young male in my 20th, recently met a great guy. After a couple of weeks of dating and before being intimate, he told me he had genital herpes. I have never been expose to this sort of situation and I have a million questions going through my head. I personally don't think that is a reason to end things. He is a great guy. I have started researching a lot. We still haven't been intimate and his last breakout was 4 months ago. It was triggered by stress. I know protection is a must and the breakouts happen only in his genitalia. Can we kiss during a breakout? It there are no breakouts, can oral sex happen without me risking myself? How often should I get tested? Is there anything I should be taking?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for the title. It's a typo and don't know how to edit

• Posted

Hey its nice to hear a story of some one who is not going to judge someone on that with GH there is always going to be a risk due to shedding even with out an out break , he could take a daily suppressant and also use condoms for extra protection if you'd like but like they say anytime is a risk but it's great he told you and your seeing past this feel free to personally msg me if you'd like

• Posted

Kissing is fine. Giving oral sex will always carry some degree of risk (through asymptomatic viral shedding; Google for more info), but such risk is reduced at times of no outbreak, and even further reduced if he is taking daily suppressive medication for herpes. This is something only he can take, not you. There are no preventative meds for negative individuals, only therapeutic meds for herpes carriers.

Testing frequency is at your own discretion. Just make sure you test for IgG antibodies (*not* IgM) at least 3 months after the encounter you wish to test for. If you develop lesions, insist on a swab test. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Ah you sound seriously amazing!

Okay so does he have type 1 or 2

Because type 2 normally never passes on to the face because it just doesn't like to live their so I said as long as he's on suppression medication and outbreak free there would he no problem

You can definitely kiss him (unless he has a visual cold sore on his mouth)

As long as he takes his suppression then you are good to go

Still wear condoms though and still remember that there is a risk of catching it!

When he has an outbreak treat it like he has a bad virus because you wouldn't kiss someone who was throwing up from a bug would you? Hell noooooo

• Posted

Dang, you are awesome man! So glad to see that there are guys out there that do not let STIs affect how they see another individual. 

Side note, as a dude with HSV 2, I ask my PCP a lot of questions about what I can and cannot do in terms of being sexually active. He told me to avoid receiving oral and to always use a condom. I have never had an outbreak so I do not know how that part goes, but I am glad that you are supportive of your partner.

Good luck with everything smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.