Bunion Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my scarf akin osteotomy september 16th 2016.

I had a cast on for four weeks, then was put in a shoe for a number of weeks, but now everything is just about getting back to normal! Since having the shoe off, i could only wear ugg boots, they were the most comfortable and less painful! Since yesterday i discovered i could start wearing trainers smile soo happy now! I dont experience no discomfort at all!

My job involves standing up all day long! Up to 14hrs a day some times! (Food market trader)

When i do come home of an evening my foot really swells up, and becomes very difficult to walk on! But by the next morning its fine!

The only problem im having now, is that ive lost mobility in my big toe, so i still walk a little funny, because bending my toe is ruduced a lot! And if i bend my toe too far, it starts hurting!

Ill be starting phsiotherapy soon, so hopefully mobility will come back!

Im not saying that all the pain in my foot has gone completely! It hasnt! Some days it will just be very painful! Even without working, or even moving! I could be laying in bed and get a little twinge in my foot! It seriously takes time!

If anyone needs any help, im free to give you advise if you want a little help smile

Good luck my bunion friends smile

-Jasmine

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jasmine

I had a bilateral scarf akin procedure in December 2015.  I did not have a caste but my feet were heavily bandaged for two weeks.  After this I just had light dressing over the wounds.  I was given flat soft velroe surgical shoes to wear and after six weeks was allowed to try normal shoes.  I was only allowed to heel walk for the first two weeks and to strictly elevate for 90% of the day.  It seems that after care is different for everyone.  I did have my operation done privately so that I could ensure that the consultant did the operation entirely.  I went to see him quite a few times after the operation and he advised me on different exercises for my toes to keep them mobile.   I did not have any physio therapy and was happy for the consultant who did the operation to advise me as he knew exactly what had been done.   In fact it really scared me when I went back two weeks after the operation to have the knots of the stitches removed and the consultant flicked my big toes to get them moving.   He was very keen to get the toes moving as soon as possible.

It also took me a while to get into normal footwear.  At first I could only wear, oversized Ugg type boots but then progressed to Skechers GoWalk.  I also found that Birkenstock sandals give good support for the underneath of the foot.  I would say it took me at least six months to be able to walk at normal speed.  There was still swelling for upto about 9 months but I just elevated and they were fine.

My consultant did say that it is the downward movement that is difficult and my big toes were slightly lifted off the ground.  I went on holiday four months after the operation where I was able to practice my downward movement on the soft sand which helped a lot. 

At five months I was able to go back to the gym and do some walking on the treadmill.  Twinges in my foot lasted ages, almost a year on I got odd sensations.

Today which is one year and three months on my toes look straight, there is no pain from the big toes and the twinges have stopped.   I still wear the Birkenstocks and GoWalks.  I did go to a shop which sells extra wide toe box shoes and the podiatrist advised against Uggs long term as they offer little support for the foot.  I had made in there some inner soles which support the arch of your foot so that you walk correctly, they were expensive, but I can use them in all the trainers or boots that I wear and will last for two years.  I also bought in there some lovely boots that have a wider toe box but to look at them you would not know it.

Hope the physio goes well, I expect your feet will ache a bit after.  It is a long haul to recover from this operation.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience, my foot is exactly the same with very litle movement in my big toe and also like you my toe will ache if I do too much walking. I would be interested to know what type of phsio you will be having, as I have not been told to do anything. As you so rightly say it's going to take time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.