mild gastritis -- WHY BIOPSY?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a scope done yesterday. Doctor said mild gastritis and reflux esophagitis. They took two biopsies and they said that's to see if there's infection. This scares me. She said the doctor would have seen if it was something bad like the C word. He said my stomach and esophagus was just red. I guess the word biopsy scares me.

Anyone had this happen?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Biopsies are taken to check for infections such as h pylori. They are also taken to confirm celiac disease. If it was anything nasty, it would have been seen and you would have been told about it. Trust what your doctor has told you; if you worry, it will make your symptoms worse.
  • Posted

Yes I had this and they took a biopsy to check for H Pylori-nothing to worry about as that can be treated easily enough.

Also if there was anything concerning they WOULD have told you so.

• Posted

Yes, nearly every endoscopy I have had they have taken biopsies because my stomach lining was irritated i.e..red, they are just being thorough x each time I get results and all been normal x
  • Posted

as has been said they will test for  H Pylori, if that proves positive its easily treated, in my case i had biopsies taken for cancer and  H Pylori due to family history, none was visible H Pyloriwas negative as was a stool sample taken earlier. 
  • Posted

State of the art.

Not taking biopsies would be worrying.

(btw usually even more biopsies are taken from oesophagus and stomach to see microscopically if inflammation, eosinophilie or whatever was present. Also H.pylori test can be performed on biopsies, so can sugar enzyme levels.)

• Posted

i meant to say on my last reply, i had 8 biopsies taken, they took me off paps as there was no visible sign of the c word, i was rushed through due to family history along with my symptons, did find i have chronic inflammation but low end of normal, since had a barium meal that showed reflux and food sticking on way down, mri monday so for every test you have done they can build a picture on whats going on and figure out your best course of treatment, im also low normal in zinc
  • Posted

The biopsy came back negative for bacteria and no cancer.

Thank God!

Now I'm waiting on ultrasound results. The tech asked me if I've had anything to eat in the middle of the exam, so now I'm freaking out because I think she saw something concerning. Is that normal?! I wish they could just tell you. I have to wait until Monday to find anything out!

• Posted

Maybe she saw food stuck there just as your barium meal showed
    • Posted

Results from ultrasound were good. So I'm to take the meds for gastritis and reflux and hope it heals up!

Thanks yall!

• Posted

Did you find the cause of your gastritis and reflux ? 
    • Posted

They just said acid. Too much acid. The biopsy was negative for any bacteria.
    • Posted

ok, thats good. 

Usually h. pylori can also cause this. 

• Posted

I also had the breath test a couple weeks ago and it was also negative. So I really don't know why. She said it's common and can be from acid.

• Posted

This maybe something to do with natural bacteria imbalance in the body. 

• Posted

Make sure you avoid spicy, fatty foods and keep off coffee and chocolate to help heal your stomach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.