Ovarian Cyst Misdiagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to the ER after sharp pelvic pain, trouble going to bathroom, which then spread to abdomen and sharp pain in right shoulder. 

I had ultrasound and diagnosed with gallstones and given pain meds and told to meet with surgeon.

Pain got worse returned to hospital two days later. I had CT scan and was told to go home and meet surgeon or be admitted and remove gallbladder the next day. 

I did and was told prior to sugery that I also had ruptured ovarian cyst. Noone expressed concerns or questions and I was sent to operation.

Fast forward a week I still have symptoms though less severe. I did not have gallstones according to pathology. I am now seeking care for ruptured cyst but OBGN seems unconcerened. I have lost an organ still suffering from trouble sleeping, pains in abdomen, side and shoulder. If I have a BM it is excrutiating. I have yet to be able to return to work even though it is a desk job. Sitting for extended time or any need to go to bathroom is unbearable.

Does anyone have any advice or similar expereinces. I am trying to stay strong but have not slept through a night in over two weeks. 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Sorry you are having a bad time, i take it your gallbladder removed? If you had it done laparoscopicly then the shoulder pain coukd be down to the gas they use to basically inflate your abdomen so they can get to your organs during surgery. The pain is horrendous and the trick is to just be as mobile as you can, try alternating leaning over a chair back (just make sure its sturdy) and then standing straight. It can almost feel like someone is pushing down on your shoulders but it is just trapped gas.

Things get moved around during surgery and i was told that the bowel is the one thing that likes this the least.

I also believe that if you have had a cyst thst had ruptured then this can act as an irritant to you inside.

I am not medically trained so go with your gut instinct and seek professional help. Hopefully the symptoms you describe are just the unfortunate after affects of surgery.

Get well soon. 👍

• Posted

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am now 13 days post op and have walked every day as well as stretching to dissapate the gas. Where my admomen is and my gallbladder is feels fine other than my scars are tender.I am most concerned because the symptoms I had that brought me to the ER twice are still there just less intense. So that and no gallstones leads me to believe although my organs may have been inflamed from my ruptured cyst I am not convinced I acutally needed to remove one. I know I can live without but know that I am more educated about cysts and complications I wish my doctors had considered they have very similar symptoms as appendicitis, gallstones, and kidney stones

Thanks again. Sometimes it helps just to talk to someone. 

• Posted

Happy to help.

Its hard going through surgery especially ones that happen so quickly. Im on my third one and there are things this time round that have been new or that i just forfgot about. I'm four weeks into recovering and I can only just about manage to wipe my own bottom completely! I can only lift half a kettle of water and the internal stiches are so painful by the evening. It seems the easiest of tasks pre-surgery have become so difficult. An outsider looking in probably thinks I'm just a bit slow getting around but physically and mentally is a different story. I feel vulnerable outside the house, dropping the soap for the 5th time can have me in tears, realising the pets are getting neglected because everyone is looking after me has me feeling so guilty. I'm still in large pjs because my stomach still feels so bloated and I can't avoid anything touching my scar and waiting for my biopsy results to come back are all things hampering recovery.

But we will get there, its just takes time. One shot at recovery so need to do it well and listen to the body. X

• Posted

Hi Tiffany --

Whoa there!! Two weeks? You're only post op for two weeks now? All of your symptoms could still body still recovering from sugery (and the cyst, don't forget that you had something burst in your body). 

However, if you have concerns about your recovery, don't feel badly asking for a follow up with your GP or other medical providers.

Your OB isn't concerned about your ruptured cyst because that's what cysts do = they rupture. Your body will likely recover from this on your own...generally, all my OB has done for cysts that rupture on their own is provide pain relief as necessary and follow up if the pain persists or becomes worse rather than better.

Your symtpoms of trouble sleeping (because of pain?), pain in abdomen, side and shoulder could all be related to recovery from gall bladder removal surgery AND ovarian cyst rupture recovery. 

Are your symptoms getting worse in any way or is your body just taking longer to recover than you expected? I'm not in any way trying to belittle you or downplay your pain -- I know how painful my cysts have been and girlfriend, I completely understand how it feels when those suckers burst in your body. It's not fun and it has taken me several days or even a week+ to fully recover. Comfortable sitting after a cyst burst = NO!! Bowel movement, often even just urination = painful. Pressure...lots of gas too. Some of that gas is thanks to the cyst having a concert in your girly guts, and a lot of it is thanks to the surgery -- they actually blow some gas into your abdomen so they had more room to work in there -- this is stuff they don't necessarily tell you prior to sugery - do you know where that gas goes? That's right, you have to pass it. It's super fun stuff, I know. I'd recommend trying a stool softener, just to ease you back into "normal" slower.

I am not a Dr or a medical professional....if you feel your symptoms are severe or if you're running a fever with the pain, or if your incisions appear infected, call or go to the ER immediately. If you feel your symptoms are worse than you think it should be 2  weeks post op, call your clinic or hospital that performed the surgery and ask to speak to Advice Nurse or Triage so they can set up a follow up appt for you.

You're going to get back to normal. May not be in the time frame you want, and it may happen slowly and frustrate you. But eventually, you'll realize you're feeling better each day. Take it easy and let your body relax and recover. Chick flicks and popcorn and chips!!! Such an awesome excuse to lounge on the couch with a heating pad, pain pills (as needed, not to get funsies from), lots of water (stay hydrated!!) and check out all of those apps that the Fire Stick or Roku stick offer...there's some good stuff out there! I'd polish off that day with an excellent cheese burger ...  biggrin

• Posted

A few more that I forgot to add:

I had a lap "keyhole surgery" to remove Endo and an ovary a few years ago. I figured I'd be bouncing around after 2 weeks. I was most certainly not bouncing anything at two weeks post op. Took me a good 4 weeks to feel comfortable driving again and really a full 8 weeks to feel close to normal. I'm early 40s and age is a factor. When I was 23, I had gallstones, had my gallbladder removed (also keyhole surgery). I was 23 so that was key there -- but even then, I wasn't "normal" again for at least 3 weeks. 

I always got gas from the cysts. And the gas from the surgery combined is probably killer. Seriously, this type of gas can cause a lot of horrible pain in your gut. As gross as it is to write this, the more you can pass it, the better you'll feel. I would suggest activity too, but only as you feel you can tolerate it. Don't go on a run or a 3 mile walk - you're obviusly not ready for that yet. I remember feeling better when I'd walk rather than sit after my last surgery. 

Just remember to be patient with your body -- your body is telling you that you're not cured yet. But at this point, all you can do is relax, don't push yourself. Let your body do the miracle work it can. That's all you can do.

And again, we're just strangers online. If you're alarmed about how you feel, call the clinic/hospital that treated you and ask for a follow up. if you begin running a fever with the ab pain, go to the ER. 

Really, you're going to be ok. cool

• Posted

hank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am 15 days since the initial symptoms started. I am now 13 days post op and have walked every day as well as stretching to dissapate the gas. Where my admomen is and my gallbladder is feels fine other than my scars are tender.I am most concerned because the symptoms I had that brought me to the ER twice are still there just less intense So that and no gallstones leads me to believe although my organs may have been inflamed from my ruptured cyst I am not convinced I acutally needed to remove one. I know I can live without but know that I am more educated about cysts and complications I wish my doctors had considered they have very similar symptoms as appendicitis, gallstones, and kidney stones. 

I feel bad because I have been unable to go back to work prolong sitting , standing, even walking causes intense pain in my lower pelvis. I also dont want to be speaking to a colleague and have to rexplain I have to roll to my side  in the fetal position to squeeze one out or I will be in pain. I also never know when it will get worse or if I will have to sit in the bathroom for a long time. 

At first I really appreciated being home but after bingwatching shows I am now getting mentally and physically bored. 

I do have a follow up with a new OBGYN this morning so I am hoping to at least get some answers or reassurance. I never knew I had a cyst prior to it rupturing, 

I really appreciate the insight and piositivity, I am glad you are feeking better after your surgeries. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.